Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copper to steel

Default copper to steel

i am attempting to build a solar water heater..closed loop system..cutting a opening in a stripped down 40 gal. water heater..going to put a 50 foot loop of 1/2copper inside..where the copper enters and exits i need to weld or braze.. i am a newbie..i have a mig MM185,tig diversion 165 and oxy/act..
    question is.. what is the best procedure to weld/braze this copper steel union?
    thanks in advance for any advice..

tom
    http://tomblackart.com/

Cool

I do copper to steel on my candle holders and i use silver solder. I would make a bung/sleeve from steel so it would a little thicker than the tank wall and mig weld it then silver solder the copper to the sleeve...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I do copper to steel on my candle holders and i use silver solder. I would make a bung/sleeve from steel so it would a little thicker than the tank wall and mig weld it then silver solder the copper to the sleeve...Bob
    not sure how to make a bung/sleeve..and what heat source do you use for your silver solder?
    thanks bob

Have you thought about going to your local hydraulic shop and ask for a compression bulkhead fitting?
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    Have you thought about going to your local hydraulic shop and ask for a compression bulkhead fitting?
    i just assumed there was a way to join copper to steel with the tools i had.
    thanks

How about welding a pipe coupler through the tank & adapt flair or compression fittings to the coupler?

I'm wondering how dissimilar metals will react (electrolysis).

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    How about welding a pipe coupler through the tank & adapt flair or compression fittings to the coupler?

I'm wondering how dissimilar metals will react (electrolysis).
    it appears compression fittings may be the way to go

thanks
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by t-terrible View Post
    i just assumed there was a way to join copper to steel with the tools i had.
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by t-terrible View Post
    not sure how to make a bung/sleeve..and what heat source do you use for your silver solder?
    thanks bob
    Just make a thing that looks like a thick washer. Mig weld the outer part to the tank. Using your O/A torch you silver solder the copper tube to the inside hole of the bung/washer thingie All with the stuff you got. You could even use your tig to do it all as well
    The thicker bung gives the solder more surface to hold on to and less chance of failing in the future. You could also braze it.
    Now that we have helped you... you are obligated to post pics of this project as it progresses.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Talking Bung-Thingie !

FK; Now that's Funny, Bung- Thingie, way too Technical for Me !

Good One , Ha, Ha.

............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

What's the part number for the bung-thingie?