Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Wrought Iron Fence

Hey folks, a friend of mine asked me to build him a fence for the front of his yard, and my question is this: are there any know issues as far legality/insurance problems if somebody happpens to hit the fence?
    Also, does anybody know of a good cheap supplier of fence/post finials?
    Thanks in advance for the help!

king ornamental iron huge catalogue find them on the web

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

How do you mean 'hit the fence?' Like with a car?

The first issue you might want to look into is what the local code restrictions are on fences. If you listed your location, people here would be able to help more.

I built a wrought iron fence as my first project and documented it here.

Thanks for the input guys, I live in Hutchinson Minnesota, and yes, i was meaning hit the fence with a car.

Quote Originally Posted by RTCmiller View Post
    are there any know issues as far legality/insurance problems if somebody happpens to hit the fence?
    The best person to answer that would be a lawyer. But as a layman, I can tell you what issues I would take a close look at if a family member suffered additional injuries in a collision with a fence.

Location.

So many people seem to have absolutely no understanding or respect for property lines when they are building a fence. Fences between private property can be haggled over by the neighbors, so they aren't too bad.

But fences between private property and a public right of way are another matter. People seem to think they own right up to the edge of the pavement. In fact, most communities have setback lines that make fences illegal within a certain distance of the actual property line.

If my wife hit a fence I'd be darn sure to find out if it was constructed in the public right of way or within the setback lines, which is illegal without consent of the governing body, or without a permit. I'd sue and claim that the fence should not have been there in the first place.

Doing something illegal that eventually causes an injury generally opens a person up to enhanced liability, such as punitive damages.

Otherwise, make it break-away... not constructed out of bollard posts that could kill a driver in an accident.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Sue for what?

Oh good lord
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

I have built all types of fence on all types of streets, even state hwy's. Never had a problem.

As bodybagger said, if the fence was in the set-back area, yeah you may be opening your self up. Hitting a fence would be no different that hitting a tree, guardrail, concrete embankment, curb, etc. I would not loose sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Sue for what?

Oh good lord
    For running over the guys fence?,If you cant keep the car between the sidewalks the fence isnt the problemMike

why would a car be aming for a fence. it would in my case I would rather have a car hit a fence insted of a five year old kid.