Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Good First Project Ideas

Hi I'm new to welding I have some experience welding scrap with my uncle and am looking for some good ideas for a functional first project. Anything useful will do, and if you happen to have plans feel free to post them. Thanks, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bob154 View Post
    Hi I'm new to welding I have some experience welding scrap with my uncle and am looking for some good ideas for a functional first project. Anything useful will do, and if you happen to have plans feel free to post them. Thanks, Bob

1 - The best first project is to learn how to use the search tool on this forum.
    This question is frequently asked...

2 - You can also look through the Miller site. You might just find something
    by clicking on "Welding Projects" under "Industries & Interests"...

3 - The next best first projects are things like welding tables, firewood
    racks, shelves and things for the garage and/or work shop,...

frank

If you just bought a welder a good first project is a welder cart. You can search the site r google for different projects. Miller has a lot of good pics of projects. I try to do projects based on what I need or can use around the garage or house. A lot of projects are ones you can buy but make for cheaper, and you can look at the ones you can buy for ideas.

Welcome to the site.

There are a lot of "first projects" that can be done using recycled metal:

-small sculptures out of nuts and bolts
    -welding tables and carts for your equipment
    -miscellanous "yard art" stuff, like twirlies, flowers, and critters
    -household items, like coatracks, towel/TP holders

Here's a thought: look at the basic no-frills shelf bracket design. The basic design is some sort of triangle. What you use to make this triangle is entirely up to you - horseshoes, old wrenches, flat bar stock, nuts and bolts ...

Critters:
    -Start playing around with some of the scrap pieces you have available. Lay a bunch of them on a table, and study them for a while, moving bits here and there. After a while, you'll start to "see" something in the pieces. A chain can become the body for a snake, or a centipede. Bolts can be fingers, the heads joints - alternately, screws and nails can be claws. Bicycle rims cut in half and spaced evenly down the length of a pipe can be a ribcage for a large animal. Nuts with ball bearings inside them can become eyes. Pliers can be pincers.

Use your imagination, you'll be able to think of some neat stuff to do while you hone your welding skills .....

Default functional

Functional is all in what you see as being able to function and ease or make life more enjoyable. Bar b que pits are functional and can be artful. There are lots of ideas on this site. Look around at what is here. It wont take long and you will be brimming with inspiration.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

building yourself a welding cart for your welder is a good one.....thats what I did.