Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks for the tip on Northern Tools guys. Proper plans are always a good starting point.

As to the original question, if I recall (30+ years ago), strength of a beam is proportional to width x height cubed. So, double the width, get double the strength, double the height, get 8 times the strength.

Using the original scenario, a 2 x 2 with 3/16" wall gives a "factor" of 1.5.

Using a 2 x 3 with 1/8" wall gives a factor of 3.375, or 2.25X stronger. The added advantage is the 2 x 3 will actually way less (83%) of the original design. I also suspect the higher tube will translate into a stiffer structure with respect to twisting as well, but I have no idea how to calculate that.
    Diversion 165
    Lincoln SP175T
    Ryobi Drill Press
    No Name Portable band and chop saws
    '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

Quote Originally Posted by TripleTrophy View Post
    strength of a beam is proportional to width x height cubed. So, double the width, get double the strength, double the height, get 8 times the strength.
    This is only true for solid rectangular shapes.

Since hollow sections already concentrate their cross sectional area on the outside, the advantage is somewhat less. The larger size is not being filled in with additional solid core, if you follow.

For the two examples you gave, HSS 2x2x3/16 has a section moment of inertia of 0.640 in^4 while HSS 3x2x1/8 has a section moment of inertia of 1.30 (in^4), making it almost exactly 2 times as stiff.

A little less of a change than you'd see with a solid section.

http://www.steeltubeinstitute.org/pd...n_brochure.pdf
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Thanks for the link bodybagger, that is good information. Three is a reason I am not a civil engineer! I was aware that the hollow section can make a difference, but not how much. After all, that is the reason some structures have cast/drilled holes in them.
    Diversion 165
    Lincoln SP175T
    Ryobi Drill Press
    No Name Portable band and chop saws
    '97 Triumph Trophy 900 (3 cylinder, hence Triple!)

Bodybagger your my hero I've been looking for that type of info in a nice neat format for sometime now.

Thanks for the link.
    Hobart Mega Arc 5040DD (with built in air compressor)
    MM Passport Plus with Q-gun
    O/A

sold MM 251

There are only 2 tools needed in a tool box. 1) Duct tape to fix any thing that moves that isn't supposed to. 2) WD40 to fix anything that doesn't move but should.