Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a utility trailer_ seeking advice

I am planning on building a utility trailer that is 5 feet by 10 feet with 32 inch sides and a ramp/gate. I am planning on a 3500 lb straight axle. My question is this. I am planning on using 2" X 2" tube with 3/16 inch wall. Will this be strong enough to support a load of about 2500 lbs? I have build a boat trailer and reworked 2 other trailers in the past but this is the first utility trailer that I am building without plans or another trailer to go by.

any advice will be appreciated.

I have built little trailers like that and I used 3 x 5 x 1/4'' angle iron. That was followed by 2x2'' angle for cross members.

Thumbs up Trailer Plans !

Quote Originally Posted by jondoe6060 View Post
    I am planning on building a utility trailer that is 5 feet by 10 feet with 32 inch sides and a ramp/gate. I am planning on a 3500 lb straight axle. My question is this. I am planning on using 2" X 2" tube with 3/16 inch wall. Will this be strong enough to support a load of about 2500 lbs? I have build a boat trailer and reworked 2 other trailers in the past but this is the first utility trailer that I am building without plans or another trailer to go by.

any advice will be appreciated.
    Hi; Go to Northern Tools, for all the trailer plans you could ever want- need !!

............ Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

use 2 x 3 x 1/8" the strength comes from the taller tube rather than the weight

2x2 should get you by, but i agree, you would probably want to go with a 2x3 or 2x4.

I have built that size trailer before. It is a little under 6' wide and 10' 3" long. I used 1 1/2" square tube 1/8" thick for the frame rails and side rails. Also has a 3500' axle and 14" tires. Decked it with 2 x 10s 10 foot long and the tounge is 2x3" tube to a 4" square tube in the center (from a wrecked boat trailer). I have hauled my Kubota tractor on it many times with impliment hanging off the back and more bags of concrete and lumber than I can count. Have also lined it with a tarp and filled it with dirt to fill in holes a few times. She is now about 10 years old, paint looks like you know what, but she is still perfectly straight, solid and pulls perfect as the day I made it.

Quote Originally Posted by jondoe6060 View Post
    My question is this. I am planning on using 2" X 2" tube with 3/16 inch wall. Will this be strong enough to support a load of about 2500 lbs?
    This question cannot be answered without more information. It's like asking if 2x4's will be sufficient for floor joists. That depends on the span and the spacing.

But before you can answer with a span and spacing, you have to realize something else.

Forces in a vehicle are dynamic. You are no longer dealing with a simple static load the way you would with a stationary structure. Figure 0.5G's lateral acceleration in all directions except for 0.8G's forward deceleration.

The vector sum of the forward deceleration case without any other interaction (ie on perfectly flat ground) brings the load up to over 3200lb. And this is a sustained load. Impulse loads due to pavement discontinuities (potholes and road hazard objects), evasive maneuvers, and other effects can reach several G's.

My suggestion is to copy the design of a commercial (not homebuilt) trailer of similar capacity paying particular attention to the connection details and be sure you put trailer brakes on it.

Vehicle dynamics is not far removed from rocket science. There's no shame in not having a thorough understanding of it. But like a few other things such as overhead lifting devices, what you don't know can kill you, or someone else.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    This question cannot be answered without more information. It's like asking if 2x4's will be sufficient for floor joists. That depends on the span and the spacing.

But before you can answer with a span and spacing, you have to realize something else.

Forces in a vehicle are dynamic. You are no longer dealing with a simple static load the way you would with a stationary structure. Figure 0.5G's lateral acceleration in all directions except for 0.8G's forward deceleration.

The vector sum of the forward deceleration case without any other interaction (ie on perfectly flat ground) brings the load up to over 3200lb. And this is a sustained load. Impulse loads due to pavement discontinuities (potholes and road hazard objects), evasive maneuvers, and other effects can reach several G's.

My suggestion is to copy the design of a commercial (not homebuilt) trailer of similar capacity paying particular attention to the connection details and be sure you put trailer brakes on it.

Vehicle dynamics is not far removed from rocket science. There's no shame in not having a thorough understanding of it. But like a few other things such as overhead lifting devices, what you don't know can kill you, or someone else.

Um ya like he said the force on the what ya call it and the deceleration of the something or other and what not

Well Bodybagger does a bit better job explaining it than me but I think I summed it up pretty close
    Hobart Mega Arc 5040DD (with built in air compressor)
    MM Passport Plus with Q-gun
    O/A

sold MM 251

There are only 2 tools needed in a tool box. 1) Duct tape to fix any thing that moves that isn't supposed to. 2) WD40 to fix anything that doesn't move but should.

northern tools trailer plans are
    realy good and they give you
    list of all the steel you need to
    order i have the 3 car lawn and
    tow dolly plans
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Northern Tools - - Plans !!

Quote Originally Posted by BC Iron works View Post
    northern tools trailer plans are
    realy good and they give you
    list of all the steel you need to
    order i have the 3 car lawn and
    tow dolly plans
    BC.; I totally agree, I have several of their trailer plans. Exellent, Exellent !

............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com