Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Square u-bolts 3/4" to fit 3" square tube

Anyone have a line on where I could get square u-bolts that would fit over 3" square tubing. I have made some brackets to hold 3' long spears on a loader on a tractor. The previous fab was with 5/8" u-bolts but I have been known to shear them off. Want to try 3/4". They need to be 5" long bolts with at least two inches of thread. I know, don't pick up complete oak trees but hey, that's why I bought a bigger tractor cause if you can't break it, it ain't worth doing . Gotta love making firewood. I sell lots and lots of it but everybody thinks there is just bunches of money to be made it. I tell them they should get out and try it. Good thing I love to weld cause I keep myself in business. Retirement is a good thing "sometimes".

I know I could buy some round stock, thread the ends and bend but don't have a bender and just have an old hand tap and die set, and trying to get nice bends in the old vice with my torch probably isn't the best approach. Tried to buy on the internet but nothing in that size. I'm located in NW Wisconsin and not close to any steel shops but thought someone might know where to find these. I need 6 but might go with 12 (so I have some spares) if I can afford them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Leefy

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

most spring shops can bend up anything you want, and its good quality , i go to donovans spring in nh, thats shoping at its finest, good luck

Cool

If i wasn't so stinking busy i would make you some. Perfect lathe job. Then heat them and bend them around some 3" tube...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    Desert; You should be able to buy a LOT of bolts for a Minimum order of
    $100. !

............... Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    If i wasn't so stinking busy i would make you some. Perfect lathe job. Then heat them and bend them around some 3" tube...Bob
    Bob

Not all bad to be busy. Thanks

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
    Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
    Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
    Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
    Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
    Jackson auto dark helmet
    18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
    Oxy/Act
    Horizontal Band Saw
    Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
    7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
    4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
    1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
    2 - IR Die Grinders
    All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Spring shop, as already mentioned. They have the stock, they have the dies, whip them out faster and cheaper than anybody else. Plus, they have the right stuff and the know-how, to put threads just where you need them, no threads near the bends, where they will break in short order.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Leefy View Post
    Bob

Not all bad to be busy. Thanks
    I know but its unreal now. I moved a few of my machines closer together so i can do a few jobs at once. I just have to say no i can't do it for a while...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Call Tommy @ Taylor Threaded Products in Grand Prairie, TX 972-314-3330. He has the capability to bend up to 2.5" solid round w/o heat I believe. He make about 4 different pieces for me, all very reasonable, some downright cheap. fast turn-around as well
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Leefy View Post
    Anyone have a line on where I could get square u-bolts that would fit over 3" square tubing. I have made some brackets to hold 3' long spears on a loader on a tractor. The previous fab was with 5/8" u-bolts but I have been known to shear them off. Want to try 3/4". They need to be 5" long bolts with at least two inches of thread. I know, don't pick up complete oak trees but hey, that's why I bought a bigger tractor cause if you can't break it, it ain't worth doing . Gotta love making firewood. I sell lots and lots of it but everybody thinks there is just bunches of money to be made it. I tell them they should get out and try it. Good thing I love to weld cause I keep myself in business. Retirement is a good thing "sometimes".

I know I could buy some round stock, thread the ends and bend but don't have a bender and just have an old hand tap and die set, and trying to get nice bends in the old vice with my torch probably isn't the best approach. Tried to buy on the internet but nothing in that size. I'm located in NW Wisconsin and not close to any steel shops but thought someone might know where to find these. I need 6 but might go with 12 (so I have some spares) if I can afford them.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Leefy
    Kremer Spring in Inver Grove Heights MN. Give them the measurements and have them made up.