Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Cab Protector dimensions and material list

1 1/2 " X 1 1/2 " X 1/8 " wall aluminum square tube for frame. 1/2 " schedule 40 aluminum pipe for fill in. 3/16 " aluminum for gusset plates. Cab guard rails 1 1/2 " X 1 1/2 " X 1/8 " aluminum square tube and 3/16 " aluminum formed plate. a wider(not thicker) rectangle tube for the frame would look good as well. The round pipe could be replaced with square stock, mount some lights, add some diamond plate and wallah, we have a cab protector. ok ok headache rack !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Where you at in BC DH? Im in Burnaby and Im about to build one for my Chev.
    I have all the stuff here I just need to find the time between jobs to start the build.
    I just finished puttin gtogether some rails for the top of my canopy. All ALuminum. They look pretty slick too. I'll take a pic in the daylight and post it here tomorrow
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Default thank you

Merci
    Thanks
    Danken
    Ringraziare
    Agradecer
    شكرا

Thumbs up Cab Protector

No. i'm living in the cariboo, originally from the Island. Can't wait to see the pictures. How thick is the metal your using? What do you have for material? What do you figure the material cost to be? what's your opinion on using 1/8" thick material? do you have a plan? or are you just gonna wing-it with a tape measure? keep us posted throughout the project. I'd love to see some pictures of it in progress.
    Last edited by Dustyhaze75; 10-13-2007 at 05:27 AM. Reason: spelling

The Cariboo Huh Ghost Rider?(nice pic) I think the future holds a meeting for you and I.
    The Missus and I have a chunk of land near Lone Butte. We're up there often.
    the Green lake playgorund area. Wouldnt it be Ironic if you were the guy that just started building himself a large shop on the back corner of his property on Watch Lk. Rd...

Pics will be posted later today alright. Im still picking the sleep crap from my eyes...oh and having coffee....

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Okay I put my pants on, left the coffee on the table and went outside to take some pics... Have a look.

the cross bars are 6061 and the brackets are 5086. Its all I had on hand.
    the cross bar is 1x1x 0.125 and the brackets are 0.1875". I cut all this up on the table saw and a mitersaw using 100 tooth carbide blade with 0 degree tooth rake (important!!!) All my filler was 5356.

I will be building a proper haedache rack soon enough and I will post pics when the time comes, but before that happens, I will be getting a POS welded aluminum boat on the 18th of October. I'll be putting posting pic of that fisrt and we can all share my night mare!!! Hahahahahaha!!! its gonna need alot of TLC. anyway here are the pics.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Post Cab Protector

Welds look good. Did you get full penetration near the end in the third picture? I think your rack could hold an elephant off the truck by i'ts self, good strong construction. Thanks for the heads up on the 100 tooth carbide blade. Can't wait to see the Boat. No I'm not the guy building the big shop, I wish I was. What I have is called a shed LMAO. I have all my tools from a heavey duty apprentice and my syncrowave 250dx in my thief proof shed. I think it's actually comical. One way or an outher eh lol . I was forced to downsize when we bought this place. When we moved back to B.C.from Calgary (my apprentice), I Started hauling lumber, loggs, then I was running a Hiab boom truck. Every Spare cent went to tools or my welder. just when I got my welder payed off I got sick. It took over a year for them to find out what is wrong. Many trips to the hospital and to the urologist. I had every scope you could imagine and still have anouther one to go to. Its real fun pissing out blood clots after a scope. My point is, my welder sat there brand new for over a year untouched. I just started playing with it about a month ago.
    The urologist said I have A very bad case of Interstitial Cystitis which in turn causes A list of outher problems like Prostatitis(enlarged prostate) etc. etc. I'ts fun going down a logging road sitting on an enlarged prostate. lol anyways Ive been on medication for about 8 months and I'm finally starting to feel better. I don't plan on going back rait away, My wife has a good job so we're OK financially, but I need to make some extra money for things like tube bender, notcher etc. See........... my passion is in Bobber frames. That's been my gaol from the start. When I was working, my whole paycheck could go on tools etc. Now with money tight I have to make some aluminum products, just so I can afford the rest of the tools I need. I have to make a plan to continue my plan lol. go figure!............this is my life.................... one day , one day ! ............Im starting to get used to fitting a square into a circle. .............Ya I have no life ! lol
    Last edited by Dustyhaze75; 10-13-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper

I hope you get well soon. You rlife sounds like its full of bs you dont really need.

The welds on my racks are pretty good. Some are a bit on the cold side but they'll do for the purpose intended which is to haul around my 32ft ladder with out gashing the top of my cab..And this has already happened hence the rails...

I guess if I had to do it all over again, I would add a few more gussets here and there. and I do nee to add end caps still. I haven tdo so becuase im not sure what i want to do yet. As for teh boat... well, thats going to be alot if fun. I had one just like it before, but it went a few years ago.. This one will be better than that one... I'll post pics when it gets here. I'll have to go up to Powell River to get it.. The double ferry ride is gonna suk bigtime. Wish me luck...

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

I wish I could type gooder....uhg...

EAT your BROCCOLI
    Last edited by SignWave; 10-13-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Post cab protector

Ya good luck going to powell river................fun fun. I think your welds are very good. i didn't mean to pick apart your project. It's perfect. your not going to haul any elephants or tanks up there?....lol... looks good. Ya I'm feeling better, thanks. I can spell too ha ha ha ha.
    Syncro250DX Tigrunner
    Victor set
    Elite auto-helmet
    Dewalt Bench grinder
    Mastercraft miter saw
    Mac air tools
    Mac hand tools
    Toothbrush
    pencil
    toilet paper