Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Picked up a utility bed cap need ideas

I picked a utility cap off Craigslist for the upcomming winter snow.
    First I'm replacing the black aluminum skin with white to color match my truck.
    Also thinking about my welders exhaust and what to do, should I have some tube bent for a custom exhaust and vent? I have a Bluestar 6000 With a 13hp.
    Honda. My muffler is shot and the original header is rusted badly so with that being said I am leaning toward a custom exhaust and was wondering if anyone here has fabricated one for there generator/welder.
    Also I'm going to install some 12volt lights but I also wanted 110 lights ran off the welder but the power source surges and drops when welding so what type
    of lights would be best for long life. Any ideas or suggestions will be appericated
    Thanks.............................Brett 762_6232.JPG 762_6233.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

LED lights have the least current draw.

I worked for auto detailers who ran generators inside work caps like that. One mounted the generator at the rear with the exhaust side to the rear and that worked for him. Another ran a longer exhaust pipe out the side door. Either way, you have to be careful about standing near the exhaust and breathing the fumes, since all of your cap doors will be work areas you will access while the genny is running. Best method would be to either run the exhaust through a hole in the bed floor and out under the truck, or up through a hole in the cap roof. Another way, if you don't want to cut holes in the cap or truck, would be to run the exhaust to one of the door locations and end it just inside, then make a removeable slip-on pipe to connect to it during use that will route the exhaust up and away from the door opening area. You'd have to wait till it cools down to remove it and find a safe spot to stow it.
    Last edited by Desertrider33; 11-01-2009 at 12:08 PM.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Looks like a nice fall/winter project Brett and I have a suggestion. A slide out cargo bed that will make accessing equipment much easier. I worked for a commercial refrigeration outfit that ran a Lincoln Ranger out of a unit similar to yours and a slide out cargo bed was the way to go.

Thanks for the input Desertrider33, I really like you idea on running the exhaust
    through the bed floor.On the other hand I have a little FMF pipe off my sons PW
    Yamaha that I think would look trick going out a small hatch.
    Also about the led lights, I have swapped out all my trucks dash & speedo lights
    with led's and love them. Do you think I would need a surge protector or something else to regulate power, I have not dealt with 110volt led lights.

Cornerstone, I do like those sliding beds but I built a deck between my boxes
    for 3 drawers to keep all my cans and boxes of hardware away from my tools.
    My tool boxes were full of spilled nuts and bolts before I built it, here's a pic below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hello;
    Where are you gettin' the power to run the recepticals at the back of your truck ? I didn't see a generator ?

............. Norm

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

I had by welder in the garage at the time of the pic, its placed across the front
    control panel facing the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitWelder View Post
    Thanks for the input Desertrider33, I really like you idea on running the exhaust
    through the bed floor.On the other hand I have a little FMF pipe off my sons PW
    Yamaha that I think would look trick going out a small hatch.
    Also about the led lights, I have swapped out all my trucks dash & speedo lights
    with led's and love them. Do you think I would need a surge protector or something else to regulate power, I have not dealt with 110volt led lights.
    I don't know anything about 110vac LED's, but you can run 12vdc LED's on 110vac power with a 12vdc converter. That is how 12vdc RV lights work when the RV plugged into shore power.

Small hatch would look nice for the exhaust. Maybe one of those chrome fuel filler doors they sell for pickup beds could be riveted into the camper side wall.

I have a drawer under the floor of my utility body that is the same idea as the wood platform and drawer you built. There are pics of it in another post HERE. I also have a sliding frame under my Bobcat, pics in the same post.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Desertrider33, I'm not sure why I never considered running a converter but I love the thought. That way I only have 1 type of lighting either powered buy
    my truck batteries or the welder when in use. I've seen several converters on Craigslist that will due the trick. Thanks again