Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Part of the wood storage solution is no longer a welding project and that's OK. I used what I have on hand...stout metal fence posts that were supporting raspberry plants.

These will work great for off patio storage and I certainly did not re-invent the wheel with this solution

I sure appreciate all of the responses and the time you guys spent thinking about MY PROBLEM. I'd do the same if I had something to offer.

MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Default balancing act

i just whipped 1 together for my crap wood outside the shop, when you stack wood there is hardly any horizontal stress (unless mobile) i made mine from 1x1/8 angle and 6011.d it together, cheap, strong(enough), light, quick to make, its not pretty but holds a bunch of wood stacked in and around and on top of a 4x4x8 frame

Not metalworking, but something I put together right next to the back door.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default My Wood Rack

I have a 1 X 1 16ga sq tube fetish. This rack has a truss design on the bottom, it is 48in wide 36 tall. I load it with oak and it never even groans.

Put some engineering into your designs guys.

IMG_2020.jpg
    Last edited by Fred Smith; 11-24-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Frank
    (aka Fred)
    MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
    Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
    Dynasty 300DX
    Spectrum 625
    Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
    Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
    Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smith View Post
    I have a 1 X 1 16ga sq tube fetish. This rack has a truss design on the bottom, it is 48in wide 36 tall. I load it with oak and it never even groans.

Put some engineering into your designs guys.

Attachment 20094
    That doesn't look like 1"x1"
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default trust me

Yes it is 1 x 1 with 1.25 band along the top edges and the "feet".

It's like Bubba Gump talking about the versatility of shrimp, 1 x 1 tube, you can bend it, miter it, weld.... good stuff

I have some other projects made from it that are actually bigger, I'll get my posterior out to the garage and take some pictures to post.

one is a pet food (catch all) cart and the other a bench for a radial arm saw, 2 tool boxes and a slew junk under it. And I didn't even get to shovel and poo scoop.
    Frank
    (aka Fred)
    MM200 (antique and still cook'n)
    Lincoln 160 buzzzzzz box - left to live with a nice youngster
    Dynasty 300DX
    Spectrum 625
    Chevalier Knee Mill - Bridgeport clone you idiot.
    Homebuilt tube bender - with home made dies no less
    Delta Drill Press & Grinder collection

Needed - a bigger shop to use the stuff

I thought it was sitting on the ground but I see now it is up on a table
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Default wood storage rack

First of all your idea is good.(don't worry about the drawing) The size and gage of the material is fine. What you do Need is to find yourself a better supplier for the material. In San Antono, Texas, 20 foot length of square tubing runs about $6.00.
    The price you are going to pay, would make about 12 racks at our price.

A little off topic for a welded firewood rack but here is where I store my firewood. It's 10 X 12 X 8ft high. Will use most of it during an average winter. I also have a rack made of 2 X 4's closer to the house. it would be 8ft long about 14 inches deep and 6ft high.
    Attached Images Attached Images