Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Rain- yeah forgot about that since I think I see it twice a year.
    If the o.p. was in the other Portland (on the Upper Right Coast), we'd also
    be talking snow (cold fluffy white frozen water vapor that falls from the
    sky and causes people to drive like utter morons and gives kids a day
    off from school. :-)

frank

If the rack is going up against a wall I might consider making the front feet a fraction of an inch taller (depends on height) than the rear one say half or quarter of an inch. This will help keep it from falling forward somewhat if you don't or cant anchor the rack for some reason. If you do this I'd also say to add something to the back to keep the wood from damaging the wall in case of bad/careless stacking just in case.

I am overwhelmed by the excellent responses- Thank You.

I am downsizing it based on BodyBaggers calculations- It would be a catastrophe to mess up a nice patio- Thank You. I'll just have to store wood elsewhere and more evenly distributed.

This rack is for the convenience of having a tidy patio area and NOT walking on the grass which will soon be a mucky Oregon clay mess.

I'll get 'er done. Better ponder for a bit more and make sure I meet my homes needs.
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-02-2009 at 12:13 PM.
    MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Olsen View Post
    As a point of reference, Metals Depot's prices are ridiculous.

1"x1"x24' 16ga from them is $23. My price for a 20' length in Los Angeles (where things ain't exactly cheap) is only $6.
    ahh but the flip side is that materials are cheaper since there is more competition in Los Angeles.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    ahh but the flip side is that materials are cheaper since there is more competition in Los Angeles.
    Ed; $23.00 is Not unheard of here in Ontario ! Nor Unusual !

........ Norm :

Sunrise Outside My Shop In Delhi, Ontario

- Arcair- K 4000 CAC.

- LN-25 Wire Feeder

- Lincoln Ranger 8- Engine Drive- CC\CV:

- Lincoln Power Mig 180C
    - Spoolgun.
    - DeWalt Chop Saw .
    - DeWalt Compressor - 13cfm, @ 100 psi.

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Here's a few pics to spark some ideas. Had some bad storms this summer and knocked a few trees down on my property. Had so much wood didn't know what to do with it. A friend gave me a bunch of scrap steel from a pallet for a hot tub and the material laid out perfect for a new firewood rack. I had one already, which was a store bought rack. The store bought one has lasted a long time, longer than I thought it would considering how cheaply constructed it seems. The one I made will definitely outlast it though... was also more fun to put together.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Miller 211
    Miller Diversion 180
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Miller Spoolmate 100
    Miller 30FX Arcstation

Default I know this is a welding site but

Im all for burning metal but the only way I would a project like this out of steel is if it was free scraps. I built mine out of presure treated and I think think it only cost me like 30 bucks and I even roofed it with leftover shingles I had from my shed.

Just a thought.... Metal will stain a deck or patio atleast mine did. I can take a pic if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb9550 View Post
    Im all for burning metal but the only way I would a project like this out of steel is if it was free scraps. I built mine out of presure treated and I think think it only cost me like 30 bucks and I even roofed it with leftover shingles I had from my shed.

Just a thought.... Metal will stain a deck or patio atleast mine did. I can take a pic if you want.
    I read all of the posts and it's all good. I haven't bought any materials and am not too snobby to use wood or drive posts into the ground. Lets face it...I want a welding project if for no other reason than to irritate my noise sensitive neighbor. She came out at 1:00pm and requested that I stop sawing (chainsaw) firewood for 30 minutes so her kids could sleep- wtf.

Does the water bureau or power company re-schedule when their noise doesn't suit me? No.

I stopped and told her "I do mind" when she asked "would you mind..." her husband, who I previously got along with, is snubbing me. It must be agreat piece of A$$ to put up with other ridiculous requests of that nature.Done raving.

Simple pressure treated posts will help the situation, at least for storing in another area, and it is inexpensive.

Thank Guys
    Last edited by Johnny; 11-06-2009 at 05:18 PM.
    MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

I have access to no cost used pipe so that is my material of choice. A problem with tubing of any sort is that the inside is almost impossible to protect so humidity tends to eventually rot it from the inside out especially horizontal members.

That sucks with the nieghbors. Some folks are real goofy like that. I would never tell ask them to stop cutting the grass so my son could sleep. Heck I didnt even say anything to the kid that was screaming up and down the street in his mini bike with no muffler (super loud) when he was napping.

Here are a couple pics to give you an idea of what I did. I painted it to match the shed. I didnt use 4x4 in the ground. Just 2x4's. I can move it if I like. I enclosed the sides with fence picket boards and added a roof to match the shed. Its straight. The angle of the pics through it off. The intent wasnt to take a pic of the wood rack. Its just in the background..

If you want more detail pics, I could walk out and snap some better photos.
    Last edited by mikeb9550; 11-07-2009 at 09:07 AM.