Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter project

Default Not much welding involved

But it looks like I'm going to be doing some work in my "musclecar". The Geo Metro has 200,000 on the odometer and it looks like it's going to need a valve job and new tin cans in the cylinder bores. Compression on #1 is down to 60#. At 45 MPG I gotta keep this thing on the road!

Edit: It snowed last week and is gonna be in the upper 80's tomorrow. Crazy stuff....
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Default Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by DDM powersports View Post
    Well it is cold and raining. I have to say it feels like winter. So does anyone want to share what their winter project is going to be?
    It's 92 and Sunny

Probably do stuff that was too hot to do when it was "summer."

Golf sounds good.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    It's 92 and Sunny

Probably do stuff that was too hot to do when it was "summer."

Golf sounds good.

Dave
    My thoughts exactely.Its still pretty warm here I havent checked but feels about like 80 maybe a little warmer.Its a great time in my neck of the woods to get things done.Mike

My winter project is to build a firewall. If I get that done and there's still some winter left I'll be fabbing mounts for a tilt front end.

A real engine would be alot cooler! LOL! Forced induction with a carb sounds really hard or really easy to tune which is it?

Build a smoker to cook food while I build a welding table, build a pair of bi-fold wrought iron gates for the bay door in my shop ( don't want any uninvited guests when I am working late.
    Miller 350P
    Miller Econotig
    Milwaukee Dry saw
    Evolution Dry saw (for sale)
    Scotchman 350 cold saw
    7x12 bandsaw
    1910 ATW 14 x 72 lathe
    fridge full of adult beverages
    Sirius radio

www.snpequipment.com
    callouses and burns a plenty

Quote Originally Posted by DDM powersports View Post
    A real engine would be alot cooler! LOL! Forced induction with a carb sounds really hard or really easy to tune which is it?
    I want to get the car as close to completion as I can before I buy an engine. At the rate I'm building I don't want it setting around collecting dust N' rust. Injection would be nice but they are making some pretty cool blow through carbs these days. I guess I'm just an old carb guy that's resistant to change.

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    I want to get the car as close to completion as I can before I buy an engine. At the rate I'm building I don't want it setting around collecting dust N' rust. Injection would be nice but they are making some pretty cool blow through carbs these days. I guess I'm just an old carb guy that's resistant to change.
    That is a good move. About 10 years ago I made that mistake. Had a 468 BB Chevy built thinking the project would move right along quickly. Well, that motor sat for over a year while I attempted to finish everything else. In that 1 year span, others I know along with magazine articles were publishing combos that were putting out much more power than my motor, using different parts. Price was about the same.

For this car, I am doing what you are doing now, trying to get everything else done first with an idea of what motor I will run in the future, but waiting until I am real close to pull the plug on the motor.

Miller 210
    Diversion 165

Quote Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
    This from somebody cutting parts on a CNC machine...

Quote Originally Posted by kbraby View Post
    This from somebody cutting parts on a CNC machine...
    Yabutt' it's an old CNC.