Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Circular Stairs

Default Circular Stairs

Here are some stairs we just built. The first picture is in our shop. The rest are where we test fit them. Now it is at powdercoat. I will post more pics when done.. Rails will get pickets ilke deck after powdercoat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by starweld; 10-28-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Very Nice Staircase. How did you make the handrail? Is it one piece?

Very Nice Staircase
    gary...

hand rail is one piece. It is 3/4 sched 40 hand rail. We actually bend it by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by starweld View Post
    hand rail is one piece. It is 3/4 sched 40 hand rail. We actually bend it by hand.
    I'd pay to take part in the handrail bending process- cool. Very nice staircase, house and lake too.
    MillerMatic 140 Auto-Set

Default Hand Rail

Very nice job!
    I have a question about the handrail. If this is pipe what causes the diameter variations? The bumps almost make it look like segments that are put together somehow.

Thanks for sharing!
    Bill

Miller Mig 130XP
    Linde VI206 W/Mig
    Miller Econotig
    L Tec Plasma PCM32i
    Pneumtic Forging Hammer 75#
    Mechanical Forging Hammer 65#
    Propane Forge
    Makita Chop Saw
    Bader 72" Belt Grinder
    Bader Knockoff 72" Belt Grinder
    Milwaukee Portoband

I donít totally understand the question, what we do we start with a piece of 3/4'' handrail, and we put it the jaws of a vice(loosely) and start bending it gradually until we have about a 3' radius. By this time we already have our pickets plumb both directions, we start at the top an tack it to the last picket before the landing, then gently bring it down to the next one, tacking as we go. But caution you CAN NOT USE HEAT or the rail will kink. it takes time and patience. I have built about 6 of these and trust me this one looks way better than my first.

very nice piece of work!! way to much geometry in that for me to ever tackle a project like it.. maybe in the future again very nice work!!

Is this an oversight or a complete disregard of the 1.25" to 2.0" diameter standard for handrail and the 4" opening standard for railings?

Must not be a building inspector there, but I bet there's a lawyer waiting for a kid to fall through that.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

This is not a commercial application. It is always nice hearing from a know it all.