Hey guys ,

Thanks for all the help getting me to weld like a pro with the maxtar 140

I can pretty much weld crackerjack no matter what the rig entails, metal type and how to use the machine so thanks!

I finally got a chance to mess around some serious machines at the tech school. THE BIG DIGITAL ONES THAT DO EVERYTHING

I tried to get in that place for years. i found the trick. Take welding 2. i was told that at emissions. 150.00 pencil me in lol

OK, now i got to use the big machines. Took a few tries to get used to the machines as they are the big bad *** machines as I had to figure out what a lot more meant. My stick welds look fine with every type rod including the expensive ni rods.... the good ones lol I even learned a cool circular weave to ad to the collection of weaves. Mig, same deal. I had to figure out the machine. The teach was surprised I was so good with flux core steel as I usually use it for most welds where a mig could be used.

OK. Now comes the problem .... TIG.

The teach Gave me a real fast run through on a bellhousing i brought in. He left a piece for me to finish which I burnt through. He laughed and fixed it for me. He hooked me up with a bunch of rods and some thin metal. I would say 1/16. It took me about a half hour to get a bead and I was starting to get a good weld. Now the second week..... I either distorted the metal , cracked it or over penetrated it. I tried every setting that I had used the week before and constantly cleaned the tungsten. Same deal and a lot of welding ***** to boot.

I couldn't get anything working. Teach was doing something for the school and I didn't want to bother him.

Guys let me know any secrets or tricks. the only things I know ar to set the machine to DC , set the machine to tig and make sure the gas is on.

Quite truthfully I don't even know the proper amount of gas to use.

I figure him to be busy with another school project so you guys are my only hope.

School is in like 2 hours lol

ONE MAIN THING I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS

1 HOW FAR TO KEEP THE TUNGSTEN FROM THE METAL?
2 AT WHAT ANGLE?
3 HOW DO I KNOW WHEN TO STOMP THE FOOT PEDAL AND HOW HARD?
4 HOW TO SET THAT MACHINE FOR THE METAL? PENETRATION FLOW ETC..
5 GAS SETTING.... STRAIGHT ARGON?
6 BEST WAY TO PREPARE THE METAL?

I figure that will at least get me in the ballpark.

I know this process will take some time to master. Just need a jump start. after last week

PLEASE GET BACK TO ME ASAP lol

be good guys