Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hilti is good, no doubt. The thing I have a problem with them over is parts for old tools. After 5 years or so, it is like pulling teeth to get any parts. I have a couple of screwguns that have zero parts available now. They have been the best guns I have ever had, but with no parts whatsoever available from Hilti, when they go down, that is it.

Bosch, on the otherhand, can still get parts for a 35 year old grinder I have. Bosch can be serviced by multiple locations here, while Hilti has one and one only.

Yes, Hilti is good as long as you know what you are getting into. If the price was equal to the Bosch, I would have all Hilti's as well. I just can't stomach paying 6-700 bucks when I can get the same size and almost the same quality for 3-400.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I have used Milwaukee for 25yrs, i like their tools. I think their new tools have a 5yr warranty.

Thumbs up

I have been using a HF 1" SDS hammer drill for about 4-5 years. Probably only drilled 4-500 holes in concrete and stone but for about $50 with bits& chisels it is a great tool.
    The price was on sale with a coupon.
    Last edited by KEENAVV; 10-12-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Default Parts?...No Problem...!

Quote Originally Posted by DDA52 View Post
    Hilti is good, no doubt. The thing I have a problem with them over is parts for old tools. After 5 years or so, it is like pulling teeth to get any parts. I have a couple of screwguns that have zero parts available now. They have been the best guns I have ever had, but with no parts whatsoever available from Hilti, when they go down, that is it.

Bosch, on the otherhand, can still get parts for a 35 year old grinder I have. Bosch can be serviced by multiple locations here, while Hilti has one and one only.

Yes, Hilti is good as long as you know what you are getting into. If the price was equal to the Bosch, I would have all Hilti's as well. I just can't stomach paying 6-700 bucks when I can get the same size and almost the same quality for 3-400.
    After years of messing with all the other hand tools, I laid down about 15K and tooled up with nothing but Hilti. 5 grinders, 2 Demo hammers, 3 Hammer drills, 2 Jig-saws, 4 drills, 3 circular saws, 2- 27 cal. auto feed ramsets (HlT) and 4 screw guns. And of course about 10 batteries and chargers. And the only problem I have had is: I wish they would make a band saw! And by the way, I have 4 guys that work for me and they are all animals and after two years they can't manage to destroy the Hilti's As far as parts you should never have a problem at all regardless of how old your tool is!! They have a unique warranty (forever) and all tools sold are inventoried for future part replacement. Check it out and make sure you are talking with the right folks about getting your part!

Good Luck
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

I am talking to the right people.... directly with Hilti's main parts center. There are zero parts available in the Hilti system for my TEK gun. They like to make you think they will support you forever, but that is not the case. I found that out firsthand. The guns were purchased in '88 and in '89...no parts for the '89 TEK gun whatsoever. There are a few minor parts for the '88 gun, but not much. I also got another TEK gun in '92. There are a few more for it when I checked last year.

The part deal is why I got a DeWalt TEK gun this year. I don't want to spend 280 bucks on another HILTI just to have to scrap it when I can't get parts down the road like the one I have now. I paid 150 for the DW and I know I can at least get parts for another 20 years for it. They still have parts for my chopsaw and it was made in '87.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I didnt know that about the Hilti headaches..
    It really pisses me off how disposable our society has become.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Way it was explained to me was that those guns were all outsourced. The oldest was made by AEG and the other two were made by Metabo, all to Hilti specs. This was said to be the reason for the parts drought. I had a TE72 that was very old. It never needed any parts ever, so I don't know how it would have been. Someone decided they needed it worse than I did.

Never had a problem with the DX guns. I have had DX35's, 350's and still have a 36M...never an issue with them esp since they are still very abundant in the markets. We even helped field test the DX37's and 72's.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I have a bosch bulldog. Don't know the part number. I don't expect to get more than 5 years out of any tool I buy, and if it breaks or wears out after that I just get a new one and depreciate it off my taxes. I run my gas drive welders 5 years and then replace them. If they aren't worn out they will be getting there soon, and I would rather spend my money on tools and machinery than hand it to uncle. I do have two rockwell grinders I inherited from my dad when he retired from welding (both over 35 years old, and as long as I can get switches and brushes I will use them) I have others for the other guys to use, heheh. I gave 300 for my chopsaw a year ago and if it cratered tomorrow I wouldn't cry it's saved me so much money. I don't remember for sure but I think it has a lifetime warranty. In hammer drills it's either the hilti or the bulldog, anything else is a waste of time. I do have a hitachi and a 1/2 inch bosch, but they are for drilling brick and cinder block. Concrete gets the bulldog.
    Lincoln: Eagle 10,000, Weld-Pak HD, Weld-Pak 155, AC-225, LN-25 wirefeeder
    Miller: Syncrowave 250DX Tigrunner
    Westinghouse: 400+ amp AC
    ThermalArc Handy wirefeeder
    1 Harris, 3 Victor O/A rigs
    Arcair gouger
    Too many other power toys to list.

Do it right, do it once. And in all things ya get what ya pay for.