Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Made a trailer tongue toolbox, check it out

I have no storage on my trailer, so I decided to throw together a toolbox. This will mount in the area inside the tongue where the spare tire currently sits. Spare tire will be moved underneath.

Its all made from 1/8 HRS plate. I sheared it myself at a local shop. They charged me $50 to use their big mechanical shear for an hour - an awesome deal IMO. Plasma cutting would have warped it too much and laser / waterjet is just too expensive.

Took probably 50-60 hours of time total, including design. No parts were bent in any way. All parts were welded together as outside corner joints and ground smooth to look like they were bent. That includes the main box (12 seams) and the lid (3 seams). First the grinder, then 30 grit sander, then 80 grit sander. Yeah, that part kinda sucked.

Lift struts, rod ends, ball studs, and latch all came from McMaster Carr. Hinges and foam tape came from Lowe's. All powdercoated black so hopefully the rust stays away for quite a while. Grade 8 hardware because its bling. :lol:

I've got about $200 into it total. Its a little more than I wanted to spend, but its exactly what I want and will last forever. It takes up all the available space in the tongue of my trailer, so I should be able to store a ton of stuff in it.

Tongue area (everything behind the torsion bar mounts). Old picture when the trailer was being built, but you get the idea.

Plate after shearing.

Outside corner joints with ideal penetration inside

All finished

After powdercoat

Looks good. Nice work man.

sorry that's not going to work for you. your going to have to send that one to me and start over. just kidding looks great.

is that the trailer i remember from some time ago that had a white chevy in front of it?
    TB 325
    TB 302
    dynasty 200sd
    spoolmatic 30a/wc24
    suitcase x-treme 12vs
    miller 211
    evolution rage 2

Really nice work and pleanty functional. Curious, how much does it weigh? I was thinking of building one but I was leaning towards aluminum. Again, nice job
    Geezer
    Miller 175
    Power MIG 255c
    Ranger 8
    1974 Wisconsin 5K AC Only (Cherry)
    Spool Gun
    185 TIG
    Victor/Harris O/A

Quote Originally Posted by vin-man welding View Post
    sorry that's not going to work for you. your going to have to send that one to me and start over. just kidding looks great.

is that the trailer i remember from some time ago that had a white chevy in front of it?
    maybe?

old picture

CK

I was reading your post and trying to think of some nasty joking comment to post. However, l look at you as being an ARTISAN and there is absolutely nothing I can say other than what you build is QUALITY. You make me ENVY you to the utmost !

I do have some questions, tho. Did you build the trailer frame ? I would imagine you did, since I haven't seen a mobile home frame that has that secondary bracing that is in yours.

How long did it take to build it ?

How much does it weigh ? And do you have any idea what the capacity is ?

I have a trailer that I have put almost 5 tons on but the steel rails bowed/sagged some and I would like to have a trailer, even if it has to have oak rails, that would carry more than what I have.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Rlrsk8r View Post
    CK

I was reading your post and trying to think of some nasty joking comment to post. However, l look at you as being an ARTISAN and there is absolutely nothing I can say other than what you build is QUALITY. You make me ENVY you to the utmost !

I do have some questions, tho. Did you build the trailer frame ? I would imagine you did, since I haven't seen a mobile home frame that has that secondary bracing that is in yours.

How long did it take to build it ?

How much does it weigh ? And do you have any idea what the capacity is ?

I have a trailer that I have put almost 5 tons on but the steel rails bowed/sagged some and I would like to have a trailer, even if it has to have oak rails, that would carry more than what I have.

Roger
    Check out this and let me know if you have any more specific questions about it.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ead.php?t=2038