Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Army tank welds

look at all the fire in the dirt from some of the rounds that missed the target as he's taking out the wrecks...hmmm.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Talking

First off thats a General Electric M-134 6 barrel gatling gun with a fire rate of either 4,000 or 6,000 rounds a minute (selectable, some civilians will modify them to shoot 3,000 rpm to save money on ammo) chambered for 7.62mm NATO. Secondly those are sparks, ricocheys (sp?), fragments of burning material, etc... Not exploding rounds. You won't find depleted urainium in anything lower than a 20mm. Even then you would be hard pressed to find them. They become common in the 30mm to 40mm range for vehicle mounted automatic cannons such as the Avenger cannon system on the A10 thunderbolt or the Bushmaster weapons platform commonly found on the bradly fighting vehicle or the apache attack helicopter (both weapons systems are for the 30mm round). 30mm rounds are about the size of a beer bottle maybe a little bigger. In the case of that videeo the real concern is lead poisoning witch is extremely similar to the efects of DU, so I'd be far more concerned about issues with lead than DU since less then 0.5% of the bullets fired in combat every year are actualy DU. Just curios but why did you thnk that was DU to begin with?

as I was watching the vid, the rounds that were hitting the ground, were causing a great deal of fire and smoke and I guess the tracers made it look a little intimidating.

General Electric " we bring good things to life..."

So at 3000 rounds a minute, were talking what? $125,000.00 an hour to shoot the thing?

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Thumbs up

Gotta love that video....Especially the old Huey hauling it around. Your right about the tracers and sparks. An awesome sight especially at night. Was stationed at 29 palms Marine corps base for a couple of yrs and worked in the unit that ran all the live fire exercises. Wish I had more pics, but the live night fire was something to see. A whole infantry battalion on line across the dessert valley, armor, artillery and air. All at once. Good times
    Last edited by HMW; 10-11-2007 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Can't type
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Default Depleted Uranium

for those interested, here's a fairly decent
    web page about depleted uranium.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...nitions/du.htm

and the m134 (the gun in the video)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...stems/m134.htm

f

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    as I was watching the vid, the rounds that were hitting the ground, were causing a great deal of fire and smoke and I guess the tracers made it look a little intimidating.

General Electric " we bring good things to life..."

So at 3000 rounds a minute, were talking what? $125,000.00 an hour to shoot the thing?
    I once calculated the cost to fire one for a year straight using cheap surplus ammo prices at 4,000rpm and the number was well into the billions.
    On average 2-4,000 rounds is the standard loadout in many typical situations, then again you don't need much with that kin of firepower at you fingertips.

Carl Sagan used to say: "Billions and Billions"

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    Carl Sagan used to say: "Billions and Billions"
    I think the way he always said the word "methane" was halarious!

Default thank you

Merci
    Thanks
    Danken
    Ringraziare
    Agradecer
    شكرا

Default SOMETHING APPROPRIATE TO THE THREAD (not shouting.. just getting attention.)

This thing live in my fair city of Vancouver BC. Its sat in the same place as long as I can remember... Have a look at the photo's...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog