Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Army tank welds

here is that link. it is a little scary though. so watch in dismay as they find another machine to replace the common working man

http://www.ctc.com/learnaboutctc/FSW_proj.cfm
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

The last time I saw anything on Friction welding was about ten years ago at least. One of the aircraft manufacturers(boeing??) was putting it to use in the contruciton of 747's. They were smearing large sheets of aluminum together in order to make wing sheathing and fuselage sheathing. I thought it was pretty cool how they could join two sheets without using any heat.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Awesome link welder_one. I see the Marines new amtrac is welded with that process, really cool, thanks
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Talking

It's also used to weld the frame of the Ford GT 500. Why's depleted urainium so nasty?

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
    It's also used to weld the frame of the Ford GT 500. Why's depleted urainium so nasty?
    Good question. I think it's because of the word radioactive.
    Uranium is a naturally occuring substance. Outside of Golden Colorado are hillsides that show the marks of the old uranium mines that have been played out and (purposely) collapsed.

The tailings are still there.

DU is only 60% as 'radioactive' as those tailings. They don't call it 'depleted' for no treason. People hike and walk their dogs over uranium every day.

Talking

U-238 (depleted uranium) is just fine to handle. It is dangerous in the sense that it is a heavy metal and is a TOXIC substance. If you had enough of it enter your blood stream or resperatory system then you might want to seek medical help ASAP! But other then that it's just metal. It has the same hazards as lead nothing more. U-235 however is unstable and highly radioactive. The reason U-238 is used for armor and armor peircing amunition is because it's heavier aand denser than lead.

If you shoot a D/U tipped round it will catch fire as it leaves the barrel of your rifle or big gun or why. It will also explode on impact sending Uranium dust everywhere.. It IS dangerous no matter how you slice the pie. I'll have to go look for the link I found and post it here.
    Its a wild vid to watch...

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    If you shoot a D/U tipped round it will catch fire as it leaves the barrel of your rifle or big gun or why.
    are you asking what makes the round glow as it is shot? on crew service weapons, like the .50 cal machine gun, there are tracer rounds that light up when traveling down range. these rounds are capped with phosphorous. usually it is every fifth round that is a tracer, so that the soldier can see where his aim is at night.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

no no no . they're not tracers. Serioously, Let me find the link... I'll be back

these things ae really scary..

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Okay maybe you're right W1. At least you've got me thinking but have a look at this :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgrzGslrYQc

I know that this choppers gun can spit em' out mucho pronto...so maybe that is tracerf ire that I saw, but.... I know what I know.. D/U will explode on impact.

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog