Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thumbs up band saw blade welding

Hey out there-I weld them all the time-I tig weld them , very low power, like 10A and I use 1/32 mild steel filler. I made an aluminum fixture and clamp both ends to it and there is a relief cut into the aluminum under the weld bead about 1/4 inch wide. After you weld it -grind it smooth both sides and you will have to anneal it with a torch around the welded area-heat it (it doesn't take much) till it looks straw to purple in color and you have it! With a little practice you can weld them from one side only -the annealing is critical-if it's not annealed-it will break-remember-GOOD WELD -- THEN ANNEAL- If you have to grind it again, then anneal it again. Good luck
    Jim

Or, you could do what I did and buy a bandsaw blade welder. It's made by Stryco. Bought it at a auction for $20 and it paid for it's self a long time ago.

I make all of my own blades from large coils of stock. I have tig'd them before with some success, but the only good way to do them is silver soldering them. You must get the right silver solder though. Very high silver content. A small bit will go a L O N G way. I have a nice jig that holds the blade together and aligns the edges for a true blade.

Grant

I agree. I slightly tapered each end to give an overlap of maybe a 1/4" inch and used silver solder(the good stuff) and the blade is still hanging in there and that was in 2007. No mig...no tig...just a propane torch, flux and solder.
    Nick
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by monte55 View Post
    I agree. I slightly tapered each end to give an overlap of maybe a 1/4" inch and used silver solder(the good stuff) and the blade is still hanging in there and that was in 2007. No mig...no tig...just a propane torch, flux and solder.
    Nick
    To add to monte, make sure you polish the ends to be welded with clean emery cloth and then apply soldering flux before joining the ends...
    2 Miller Dynasty 350's
    Miller Axcess 450
    Miller Syncrowave 350
    Miller XMT 350 CC/CV
    2 Miller XMT 304's
    2 Miller CP250-TS's
    Lincoln Power MIG 300 with
    Cobra Max push-pull gun
    Lincoln WP 250 G9 PRO

Quote Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
    I make all of my own blades from large coils of stock. I have tig'd them before with some success, but the only good way to do them is silver soldering them. You must get the right silver solder though. Very high silver content. A small bit will go a L O N G way. I have a nice jig that holds the blade together and aligns the edges for a true blade.

Grant
    That is good to know, I never considered silvering it.........
    mike sr

That's right.

The goal is ductile.

The blade isn't under a huge amount of tension, but boy does it flex many many times.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Call me crazy but I have used one of these: On repair of blade we would cut off previously heated metal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dayton-6a489-bla...d=200327783943

Default Thanks

I took fatfabs advise and it worked fine. One blade was brand new and was to coarse to cut thin angle iron and broke right away and the other was broken out of the box. That is why I wanted to save them.
    I am back in business.
    Thanks Again,
    Steve

i know a guy that brazed a bandsaw together with oxy/ac. might wanna try that??