Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow New Business Tools?

As we continue to improve our site, some discussion around offering help for people starting new welding businesses has surfaced.

If we were to create a section on our site for people who have or are starting their own small/freelance business, what types of articles or online tools would you like to see offered? What might help you the most?

-Setting rates?
    -Marketing yourself?
    -Insurance?
    -Product selection?
    -Mobile welding/service truck set-ups/rigs?
    -Anything else?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

I know the county, state, and federal taxes vary but maybe you could do a broad range topic on taxes and accounting related topics. What's taxable, what's not, tax certificates and exemptions, that sort of thing. That seems to be the most misunderstood part of getting into business for yourself. Otherwise most of the other topics I would include you have already mentioned. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

My $.02 are on the Motorsports site. I'm not going to annoy anyone with double-posting.

Later,
    Jason

Default Business tools...

I would have to say that some of the most important would be locating suppliers who are willing to work with small businesses and also the bidding/cost end of it as it relates to different areas in the country. Not only regionaly, but also city/suburbs/rural within those regions.

The uncle sam thing worries me and I don't really worry about anything much, ask my wife I drive her nuts with it (the not worrying thing).
    When I was just doing stuff on the side, no big deal, this year I did 20K of work with one company, plus about 4K other, I have tax ID #. I am not sure how to pursue this.
    Tim.

Hello,

All the items you listed are great topics, 2 big ones for me are how to find work and what about liability insurance, any help would be great!!

Default Familey Business Forever

I Have Worked In Familey Business Owned Shops

To Help The Smale Business Owners Is Cool We Can All Us This And Miller Doing There Part Is Just Like The Iceing On The Cake

I Can Say There Is A Lot To Run Any Business

Income Tax Is One And Then There Is Insurenss To Get If You Do D.o.t. Work

How To Put Together A Bid On Work So You Do Not Lose Money For Your Hard Work

There Is The Rework Jobs When You Have To Go Back And Fix A Broken Gate Or A Weld Fales And The Custemer Is Mad

I Got A Wake Up Call On This One Doing Golf Furnecher My Desines And Proto Tyeps Got Stolen By My Invester And He Had 51% Vested In Me And I Did Not Now That Is How You Can Lose What Is Yours Like The Hole Idea

There Is So Much To Think Of I Can Say That This Is A Good Idea That Miller Has And I Hope It Works

legality ideas for making a binding contract that will help to ensure that monies will be paid at the end of a job. i guess like an overview or outlines of contract ideas.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

I'm not sure about Health and Safety legislation in the US but here in the UK you cannot commence any work on site without a Method statment and Risk Assessment for the work to be undertaken. Maybe a template for each would be a good idea so new starters can have all the appropriate H&S documentation in place to enable them to complete work on site.

Russ

Default More Info

I'm happy and amazed with the response this topic has received in a fairly short time! THANK YOU!!!

What form would you like to see this take? Would you like a category, such as "Welding for a Living" created on our message boards? That area could be for these kinds of topics as well as people starting their careers, getting certifications, etc.

And/or, would you like to see actual articles or documents of guidelines created and posted under our "resources" tab on our Web site? Maybe for the tax/insurance, (since it is always changing) we could just give referring links to the correct spot on the IRS Web site? Internationally, (as in for the UK or Canada, etc.) I guess I have no idea where to start looking for info on the "technical" stuff like taxes, etc.?