Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default new Millermatic Reach wire feeder questions

Figured I'd post up a message about this new equipment and see what all everyone thinks about it.

Most of what I'm about to ask is probly directed more to Miller reps or service/engineering folks than to the other members, but all comments, opinions, suggestions are certainly welcome!!

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...ermatic_reach/

I noticed this new feeder on the website recently and thought it sounds interesting. I have a 350P and a Python torch, as well as the QGun. I thought maybe I could leave a roll of aluminum wire in the 350P with the Python hooked up and a roll of steel wire in the Reach feeder with the QGun on it and it would be more convenient in the shop than changing torches and wire.

I notice that the Reach connects to the 350P via the 10-pin torch connector. The Python also connects to the 10 pin torch connector. Is that going to be a problem if I want to have both of them connected at the same time? Does the Reach come with a Y-cable so both units can be connected to the 10-pin at the same time? How would the 350P know which one is being used if they're both connected to the same outlet at once? I know I can connect them alternately when needed, but it would be nice to just have them both connected all the time.

The info says it works with the gun-on-demand and synergic pulse features of the 350P. I don't know if that's only with the QGun connected to the 350P, or if it applies to the Python as well. Do the run-in speed and gas timer features work with the Reach?

Also, I notice the Reach uses an additional, seperate power wire connection back to the 350P that no remote feeder, spool gun or push-pull gun I have uses. Why does the Reach need this seperate connection?

The 10-pin outlet provides 24vdc+ and ground circuits that work fine for powering the spool gun and push pull gun motors. My Suitcase 8RC gets 24vac from the 14-pin connector on my XMT to power it's motor without this extra wire either. What is the wire for?

Is the Reach available with a meter showing the wire speed, since it has the wire speed control on the feeder? I don't see a meter option listed. Are they going to make an optional meter kit available for it?

When using the Reach with the 350P in pulse mode, I it would be nice to have the wire feed speed meter right on the feeder. In pulse mode, the wire speed adjustment is also the heat and is the primary adjustment in pulse, since the pulse is synergic. It would be nice to know, by number, what wire speed is being set, without having to see the front of the 350P while adjusting the wire speed, if the feeder is being used on the other side of the shop.

The final question I have is not really about the Reach feeder, but about the Millermatics. Instead of making the special Reach feeder for use with the Millermatics, why not provide a 14-pin 24vac connector circuit on the higher end Millermatics (350/350P, 252) instead?

With the 14-pin connector, any Suitcase RC or XR Control or 2- 6- or 7-series benchtop feeder could be used with the Millermatic as the power supply. The S74-MPa feeder could be used with the 350P with it's synergic pulse feature too. This seems much more versatile than the special Reach feeder, since the feeder can do double duty with other machines in the shop, or field with the Suitcase RC's.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    Figured I'd post up a message about this new equipment and see what all everyone thinks about it.

The final question I have is not really about the Reach feeder, but about the Millermatics. Instead of making the special Reach feeder for use with the Millermatics, why not provide a 14-pin 24vac connector circuit on the higher end Millermatics (350/350P, 252) instead?

With the 14-pin connector, any Suitcase RC or XR Control or 2- 6- or 7-series benchtop feeder could be used with the Millermatic as the power supply. The S74-MPa feeder could be used with the 350P with it's synergic pulse feature too. This seems much more versatile than the special Reach feeder, since the feeder can do double duty with other machines in the shop, or field with the Suitcase RC's.
    That's what I thought. Why not a 14 pin connection, if not on the MM350 then on the Reach feeder or atleast make the Reach Vs and able to run off the MM via 10 pin control cable.

Lincolns new LN-25 dual power runs on OCV's or a control cable.

By the way, Happy (late) birthday DR33.
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Quote Originally Posted by Rig Hand View Post
    That's what I thought. Why not a 14 pin connection, if not on the MM350 then on the Reach feeder or atleast make the Reach Vs and able to run off the MM via 10 pin control cable.

Lincolns new LN-25 dual power runs on OCV's or a control cable.

By the way, Happy (late) birthday DR33.
    Thanks for the birthday wish!

Both the feeder and the machine would need to have the same 14-pin male/female connections on them to hook them together.

If the feeder were volt-sensing, it wouldn't need a control cable at all. It would connect like a Suitcase VS, but then I dont know how the machine would know to turn on or off the weld power and not feed wire from the internal feeder. I think it would have to be a remote-control connection to work at all.
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Pretty easy, on the 350's/ 304's We make a twin connection to the operator can just grab a torch and go. These are generally for the spoolgun and wire feeders, though have done it for multiple feeders.

Cruizer, are you talking about the XMT's or Millermatics? My Optima puslers has a y-pigtail on it's control cable so the pulser and feeder can both connect to the XMT at the same time. All that is 14-pin.

Since I've owned my 350P, I've always wished it had a 14-pin 24vac connector for hooking up an external feeder, in addition to the 10-pin 24vdc spool gun and push-pull gun and 4-pin mig gun connections.
    Last edited by Desertrider33; 10-17-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Did ya notice on the PDF it shows a Benard Q-400 aluminum gun option?
    DR, I wanna do the opposite of you. Leave my 350P set for steel and use the Reach for aluminum, but am wanting to see how it would do on that first.
    I sure does open up some new options.
    I'm wondering why they don't show a longer extension cable option as well?
    DR, thanks for posting this up
    I'm beginning to wish they would quit coming out with new stuff!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Quote Originally Posted by FusionKing View Post
    Did ya notice on the PDF it shows a Benard Q-400 aluminum gun option?
    DR, I wanna do the opposite of you. Leave my 350P set for steel and use the Reach for aluminum, but am wanting to see how it would do on that first.
    I sure does open up some new options.
    I'm wondering why they don't show a longer extension cable option as well?
    DR, thanks for posting this up
    I'm beginning to wish they would quit coming out with new stuff!!
    LOL. Around this time every year I start dreaming up ways to spend all my money on new stuff from Miller. I can hear my skinny wallet screaming in protest already!

I saw the 'aluminum' Q400 mentioned somewhere. Probly just a teflon liner in a regular 400 gun with a 10 foot whip. I don't foresee that working all that well, especially not with .035 4043. I think it would work better with a 50-foot Python or Alumapro on the 350P for reaching out there with aluminum and use the 25 foot version of the Reach feeder and QGun for steel.
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Default Unobtanium?

DR,if you're looking to spend that much,i'm shure Cruizer can take parts from something add them to parts from something else and make you the custom something you want.Just bring cash,lots of cash .

FK,you want a Python hooked up to a Millermatic Reach?

Ok.enough trouble for today
    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 10-17-2009 at 07:28 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Hmmm, adding a feeder would be pretty easy. You would use the trigger and arc power off the 350P and feed 24Vac to the feeder off a 200VA stepdown 115/24Vac transformer and 24Vac ice cube relay to run the trigger off the
    350P.

All together probably under $75 in parts, wouldn't be difficult to install the components inside the 350P and install a switch to turn the drive motor on/off in the 350P to operate the auxillary feeder.
    Last edited by cruizer; 10-17-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Cruizer, thanks for posting that. It sounds like something I will want to do in the future. I still have a bit over a year left on the warranty, so wouldn't want to mess with anything inside untill the warranty is done.

I have an XR feeder that runs on 115 volts. It's an older one. The newer ones are 24 volts. It sounds like it would be easy to hook up the XR to my 350P then. I had wanted to do that when I first got the 350P but every one at Miller told me it was impossible and nothing would work right, so I gave up the idea.
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed