Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pure Argon

Default Pure Argon

I know when you mig Aluminum you should use pure Argon. What do you give up if you use pure Argon on SS and mild steel, is it just heat /money ? I just wanted to know when I buy a mig welder if I need another bottle with mixed gas. I already have the pure Argon.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Cool

Yes you should get another bottle for steel. Pure argon will work on both SS and steel but it won't let the weld flow out it just makes a large bead. I use my 75/25 both for steel and SS with no problems, but i know thats not a textbook idea as you should use tri mix for SS but i don't do enough of it to add one more bottle. If i had a large SS job come in i would get tri mix. But 75/25 should suit you well...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

OK, we'll have to double check our terminology here. I know it is very common to use the term Mig. For this example, I will assume Mig to mean wire feeder, GMAW to mean solid wire, and FCAW to mean cored wires.

Pure Argon - most expensive.
    Pure CO2 - least expensive
    Oxygen - added in small amount to alter weld characteristics.

GMAW - Gas-shielded Metal Arc Welding

Straight CO2 can be used at lower voltages, has lots of spatter at higher voltages.

Argon/CO2 blend is most economical all around mixture.

Argon/Oxygen will give the best welds as Oxygen heats up the filler metal, and allows for better "wetting" action - weld puddle flows out to the toes of the weld.

If you are looking for Spray-Arc Transfer, select a shielding gas with minimum 85% Argon or higher.

FCAW - Flux Cored Arc Welding

Straight CO2 - same characteristics

Argon/CO2 blend same characteristics

Oxygen blends - not recommended for FCAW or Hard-Surfacing applications, has adverse affects on weld composition. Also wetting action makes puddle too fluid and tends to fall out when doing out of position welds.

There are always exceptions to every rule. These are some general guidelines to minimize your grief.

Later,
    Jason

Question

Dumb question Blackwolf, Why would you use a gas shield when using flux core wire?? I don't use flux cored [FCAW] wire much but when I do it works fine with out a shield. Just curious We have one small "MIG" set up with it in it for outside stuff and it works great.
    Last edited by HMW; 10-08-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Quote Originally Posted by HMW
    Why would you use a gas shield when using flux core wire??
    Not a dumb question at all. FCAW are made in two types Self-Shield and Dual Shield. Sounds like you have experience with the Self-Shield. Most of my work with repair & hardsurfacing has been with the Dual Shield. You can add shielding gas to the Self-Shield, it really won't help, But you can't run the Dual shield without an additional shielding gas. It works like crap. Porosity, you name it - just like GMAW.

A lot of the hardsurfacing wire I've used recommend straight CO2 gas. There is no concern for spatter at higher voltages because you run hardsurfacing as cold as you can to reduce dilution into the surrounding metal.

Later,
    Jason
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 10-08-2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Extra Info

Thank you gentlemen for the information. I was hoping you were going to say you are Ok with the 100 Argon, but you didn't This welding hobbby sure is getting expensive

Guess I had better price a new bottle.

Thanks again.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 6010 View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for the information. I was hoping you were going to say you are Ok with the 100 Argon, but you didn't This welding hobbby sure is getting expensive

Guess I had better price a new bottle.

Thanks again.

Here is where you are dead wrong.....it isn't a hobby.....it is a sickness. Being sick always costs money.

Yup, you will need to get more gas. Right now, I keep three on hand....C-25 (75/25Co2), C-8 (92/8Co2), Straight Ar, and I should have either CO2 or 98/2 Oxy around, but I don't. Maybe even a SS trimix. See? It is a sickness.
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Thanks Blackwolf.. Now that you mention it I have heard of dual shield but have never used it. I have done quit a bit of hard surfacing but was done with SMAW. Thanks
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Later,
    Jason

Once again tis is why I love this site,
    questions I have but hate to show my ignorance, someone asked me the same question about shielded wire with shielding gas were they worked. I have no experience with that, told them so, looked inexperienced. Or inept maybe I am.Tim. learn every day til you are dead.