Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MIG wire for autobody work

I have done very little sheetmetal work over the years, so I don't bring much in the way of personal experince to the question I'm about to pose. When I was building expansion chambers for 2-stroke racemotors a long time ago I had no TIG or MIG gear so I gas-welded those pipes. But I like to read articles on sheetmetal work by autobody men and builders of custom cars and motorcycles, in case I need to try something.

One of the observations they make, expressed by metal-forming instructor Ron Covell for one, is that MIG-welding sheet steel puts down a fast-freezing and hard bead that makes forming the welded panel more of a chore. Since most welders today own MIG equipment, and would prefer that process for sheetmetal work, I have this question:

Why is it, apparently, desirable that the standard wire used for autobody welding have an as-deposited UTS of 70kpsi when the basemetal is nowhere near that figure? Wouldn't it be helpful to tin-benders and panel-beaters if one of the electrode manufacturers would offer a lower-UTS, more maleable wire in .024 and .030" specifically for this kind of work?

I would ask this question of the manufacturers directly, but figured I better put it to y'all first, in case my idea is completely ignorant and out-to-lunch (wouldn't be the first time).

Yes there is one for it,made by ESAB called Easygrind,Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Default "Easy Does It"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
    Yes there is one for it,made by ESAB called Easygrind,Frank
    Frenchy: Learn something new everyday. Just looked it up in my ESAB book, sure enough!

Thanks

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

That stuff is much much easier to blend in so as not to ruin body panels.Us french canadians use a lot of church words when cursing.Surprised i didnt get a bolt of lightning up my rear end yet...Thanks ESAB!
    Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

"Ask, and ye shall recieve." Thanks much, Frank; I'll look for it.

Default ESAB Easy Grind

Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    "Ask, and ye shall recieve." Thanks much, Frank; I'll look for it.
    Smitty: It's available in convenient 2# spools .023" & .030" dia.

You can look for a distributor near you on the ESAB web site along with item numbers for the spools.

Hope this helps

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Smitty: It's available in convenient 2# spools .023" & .030" dia.

You can look for a distributor near you on the ESAB web site along with item numbers for the spools.

Hope this helps

Dave
    I get mine at Linde gas.

Hey Dave,when you leave for that big job remember,keep the tire side down and watch out for those Captain Coma,Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Default "Captain Coma?"

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
    I get mine at Linde gas.

Hey Dave,when you leave for that big job remember,keep the tire side down and watch out for those Captain Coma,Frank
    Maybe the "Captain and Tennille." Gotta look out for the Elk more than anything, that and Antelope.

Quick run over to Gallup, NM. Capitol of the Navajo Nation. Interesting place, very windy, chilly (32F, 0C) tonight.

Au revoir & bonne nuit

Now I have to practice my Navajo, Apache and Hopi

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by seattle smitty View Post
    Why is it, apparently, desirable that the standard wire used for autobody welding have an as-deposited UTS of 70kpsi when the basemetal is nowhere near that figure? Wouldn't it be helpful to tin-benders and panel-beaters if one of the electrode manufacturers would offer a lower-UTS, more maleable wire in .024 and .030" specifically for this kind of work?

Unfortunately, everyone missed the key concept here.

The workability of metal is related to the modulus of elasticity and not the ultimate tensile strength.

With steel, you are sort of stuck with an E of 29,000 ksi.

It would probably surprise a lot of people to know that bronze brazing alloys can also have ultimate tensile strengths in the 50-70 ksi range because we all know they are softer than steel.

Being more workable, ie, having a lower E, does not necessarily mean a lower tensile strength. And being extremely stiff doesn't mean a high tensile strength. There are some very stiff materials out there with a very low tensile strength.

Silicon Bronze has an E of about 15,000 ksi, which is roughly half of that of steel.

That means it's twice as workable. Twice as bendable. But still 50ksi tensile strength for ER CuSi-A

It's about 15 bucks a pound.

And as an aside, the basemetal does indeed have an ultimate tensile strength in the 50-60ksi range.
    Last edited by Bodybagger; 10-16-2009 at 03:45 AM.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bodybagger View Post
    Unfortunately, everyone missed the key concept here.
    I caught it but didn't have time to post. I bought 50 lbs of .023 sil bronze for 20 bucks and its great for the bodywork with argon gas...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48