Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: water tank

Default water tank

I need to fab. a 4' wide by 5' tall by 3' deep tank to hold water. This tank will be mounted inside a box truck for supply to a concrete cutting saw on site.

My question is, what material ( I am assuming 6061) and what thickness do I need.
    I do plan on at least one baffle, maybe for support on long side as well as slosh dampening.

ANY info is greatly appreciated
    Thanks,.
    Tim Beeker,
    T-N-J Industries
    (my side bussiness)

Miller Synchrowave 350LX with tigrunner
    Esab 450i with wire feeder
    HH135 mig
    Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 51 plasma cutter
    Miller aircrafter 330 - sold
    Marathon 315mm coldsaw
    vertical and horizontal band saws
    table saw
    Dewalt cut off saw
    Sand blast cabinet
    lots of hand grinders
    Harris torch
    beer fridge

If it's going in the back of a work truck I would use 1/8" 6061. If you went any thinner there is a good chance of punching a hole in it. and yes add a baffle or 2 to help support the long wall section of the tank and sloshing when it's full.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

With 3,744 pounds of water, I would definitely go with two baffles minimum! You may want to consider ringing, (at least the middle) of the tank with angle or C-channel.
    Caution!
    These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

I think i would follow Sonoras baffle/ring advice and use 1/4" material. By my calculations you would need an excessive amount of stiffeners on 1/8". (assuming i did the calculations right )

Default "Ice Cubes"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    With 3,744 pounds of water, I would definitely go with two baffles minimum! You may want to consider ringing, (at least the middle) of the tank with angle or C-channel.
    Probably more like 450 gallons (if completely full) approx 3735#.

How about a plastic water tank instead?

Northern Tools (among other suppliers) have an assortment of tanks around the $300 range.

Many concrete coring and cutting companies have plastic tanks mounted on the trailer they carry their saws on.

Just a suggestion

Dave
    Last edited by davedarragh; 10-13-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by davedarragh View Post
    Probably more like 450 gallons (if completely full) approx 3735#.

4’ x 5’ x 3’ x 7.48 = 448.8 gallons

4’ x 5’ x 3’ = 60 cubic feet.

Pure water weighs 62.4 pounds per cubic foot.
    Gallon of pure water weighs 8.34 pounds.

Caution!

Default "Gallons of Gallons"

4’ x 5’ x 3’ x 7.48 = 448.8 gallons

4’ x 5’ x 3’ = 60 cubic feet.

Pure water weighs 62.4 pounds per cubic foot.
    Gallon of pure water weighs 8.34 pounds.

You're reading from page 638 of Thomas J Glover's Pocket Reference, I see.

If a gallon of water weighs 8.333#, and a cubic foot of water contains 7.5 gallons, and a cubic foot of fresh water weighs 62.4#, which is heavier, a pound of steel or a pound of aluminum?

I'd say, a pound of coffee

Dave

which is heavier, a pound of steel or a pound of aluminum?
    Oh my Gawd, everybody knows a pound of steel is heavier than a pound of aluminum!
    Caution!

Question

Oh my Gawd, everybody knows a pound of steel is heavier than a pound of aluminum!
    I took a real "pounding" on that one

Oh, brother...........

I took a real "pounding" on that one

Oh, brother...........

Caution!