Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default ironworker comparison

Will be looking to buy a new one soon, considering these two below.Just looking for any comments,personal experience, points of view,2 cents,etc...
    Pricing isnt an issue, I have found them to be within 300.00 of each. http://www.unihydro.com/Model_PRO_56.pdf http://www.edwardsironworkers.com/55ton.html
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Default Ironworker

I purchased a 45 ton unihydro about 4 years ago, Talk about awesome and very powerful and compact machine. Very easy to use,as far as changing punches(takes me about 2 minutes to change one),or station tooling, also easy to see your work and where you are cutting or punching.I did my homework on these machines before I settled on Unihydro,I bought mine used with about 10 hours on the machine,it was used as a demonstrator machine at a high school in Dallas Texas area.The guys at Unihydro are very knowledgeable and customer oriented and fast serviceas far as ordering tooling etc. Unihydro has the JIm Dvorak style machine which was one of the first ironworkers made like this in a small compact unit,I think they bought the patent from Dvorak.I say Unihydro all the wayyou will not regret it,If you never had one in your shop you will wonder how you did without it!
    ;
    /22x45 concrete slab with 2 overhead cranes(trolley style with electric hoist, huge shade tree to weld under
    33x33 enclosed shop when its to cold or windy outside
    miller 210
    miller 875 plasma
    victor oxy/accet
    unihydro 45ton ironworker
    miller 180 tig
    ole lincoln ac/dc buzzbox
    milwaukee power tools
    and everything in between
    2007 trailblazer 302
    Bailiegh 210 miter saw-2008
    Beer Fridge
    6000# cat forklift
    36" port-a-cool fan
    Dake G-75 Belt grinder
    3035 Spoolgun

Not much of a comparison between the Edwards and the Uni-hydro.

The Edwards is cheaper feeling in all aspects. It works it just feels cheap. The Uni-hydro feels like a true industrial machine, something that your Great Grandfather might have used.

I have used both, I can get more done faster with the Uni-Hydro.

Quote Originally Posted by FATFAB View Post
    Not much of a comparison between the Edwards and the Uni-hydro.

The Edwards is cheaper feeling in all aspects. It works it just feels cheap. The Uni-hydro feels like a true industrial machine, something that your Great Grandfather might have used.

I have used both, I can get more done faster with the Uni-Hydro.
    Interesting,I would have figured the opposite being the UNI-HYDRO weights in @ 1,720 lbs. and EDWARDS tips the scales @ 2350 lbs.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Have you looked into Pirhanna? We have one at the shop and love it, I wish I had room at home to have an ironworker, I couldn't see the image on the Edwards site but the Uni looks a bit awkward to me, maybe it's because I'm used to a Pirhanna.
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

I vote that you look at Pirahna as well. I have an older one and I have no idea how I ever survived without it. Get as many tons as you can afford, but no matter which one you get you will likely need the next size bigger from time to time.

This is where bigger is always better.

Thinking about what Blondie_486 said about awkward I will revise my statements about getting more done with the Uni, the Edwards I used was not setup in an ideal place so loading longer parts into it sucked, and that shop had a vary poor selection of tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Have you looked into Pirhanna? We have one at the shop and love it, I wish I had room at home to have an ironworker, I couldn't see the image on the Edwards site but the Uni looks a bit awkward to me, maybe it's because I'm used to a Pirhanna.
    I have had a Pirhanna P-3 for about 30 years now and think its the best. If I were buying a new one today I would head straight to a Pirhanna dealer.