Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Super complex project today..

The shop is a bit small, so I find it easier to store things when they are on wheels, that plus I'm a skinny guy, so moving equipment is not my idea of fun.

Anyhow, my vertical saw is on a busted up skid and is starting to bother me in the looks department, so I got some casters and whipped up a stand to set the saw in, came out nice I think.. No how to lift that heavy saw is the next issue..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Two Dynasty 350's with Wireless pedals
    Victor O/A
    Profax 250 weld positioner
    Bridgeport mill
    Logan Turret lathe
    RMD tubing bender
    Enco vertical saw
    Baileigh Auto cold saw
    IR 80 Gal dual stage compressor
    Misc Fab equipment

Default Give it a brake!

I'm shure you'll figure a good safe way to get that nice saw onto your dollie but,before you do,i have one recomendation to make.At both ends of the dollie,you might consider welding a big nut near each corner so you can have a big long vertical bolt in each.At the end of each of those bolts,weld a pad that will reach the floor when screwed down to act as a sort of jack/stopper to keep the said saw from moving all over on you as you're making cuts.When you need to move the saw,screw those jacks upwards off the floor and away you go with your monster,Frank
    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 10-10-2009 at 11:38 PM.
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Are the casters welded to the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by rl.robertson View Post
    Are the casters welded to the frame?
    If you look closely to the right far one your answer is visible,Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

get 5 of your friends to come over and you can just pick it up and sit it down on the dolly
    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Quote Originally Posted by metalmeltr View Post
    get 5 of your friends to come over and you can just pick it up and sit it down on the dolly
    Case of beer will work for that no?
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Default Well

Jesus that's one big a$# saw! I would suggest finding a way to jack it up and then swap out. That is if you can find some way to go through the machines door to do it. Other than that, I don't know. I'm not familiar with saws that big. LOL!! Good luck.
    Bobcat 225
    Radnor o/a
    An assortment of
    other tools and toys.

The one DANO!

OK, all done. It took me and my father about an hour to shimmy everything on, but all is well and it's done.

Aside from the Dynasty, I think this saw is one of my favorate tools. It also has some history to it as it build the Budwieser burnout chopper some of you may have seen.

That plus if I told what I paid for it you would probably not believe me, the shop was going out of buisness and I made an offer I thought they would laugh at but they accepted and I took it home...

It's literally brand new, I just took off the clear protective film on the label plates..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Victor O/A
    Bridgeport mill
    Logan Turret lathe
    RMD tubing bender
    Enco vertical saw
    Baileigh Auto cold saw
    Misc Fab equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Motoweld View Post
    I'm shure you'll figure a good safe way to get that nice saw onto your dollie but,before you do,i have one recomendation to make.At both ends of the dollie,you might consider welding a big nut near each corner so you can have a big long vertical bolt in each.At the end of each of those bolts,weld a pad that will reach the floor when screwed down to act as a sort of jack/stopper to keep the said saw from moving all over on you as you're making cuts.When you need to move the saw,screw those jacks upwards off the floor and away you go with your monster,Frank

That is a great idea, thanks.

What I intend to do if and when it finds a perminent or long term spot is to jack it up with the handtruck and sit it on some 6x6 block so the wheels are 1" above the floor.

Currently all I use it for is light aluminum, so the weight alone keeps it in place.
    Victor O/A
    Bridgeport mill
    Logan Turret lathe
    RMD tubing bender
    Enco vertical saw
    Baileigh Auto cold saw
    Misc Fab equipment

Well, whadya pay for it????

I love to hear good stories about machine finds. I have found plenty myself. If there is one thing I have learned, it is to be patient with regards to machine tools.