Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh yeah,,,,,,,,,
    And I'm sure we will again too.

So don't go away, we'll need your input and expertise on all of them.

(Har, har, har)

Seriously though,,,,
    nobody ever brought up the reason for overbuilding a gate
    to compensate for kids 'riding' them before...

Let's see--- a 100 pound kid on the end of a 17' gate means you have a
    additional load of,,,, well,,, hmmm,,,,, 100 pounds on the end of a 'Class 1 Lever',,,
    Ahhh,, or is it a 'Class 2 Lever'? help me out here,, I never did get much more than a 'C' in Math..

(That's what I mean,,,,,,, so please keep a eye on this stuff...)

I'm with you on the math grade part and rely on area specs to help when I need it. As far as Jr. taking a joy ride on the gate, this happened to one of my customers gates. Although the free swingers were never brought to justice, the post was damaged to the point to where it needed to be replaced, the gate was fine!
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Quote Originally Posted by tacmig View Post
    . Although the free swingers were never brought to justice,
    I was just joking around, but you did bring up a very valid point that should be considered in building one of these things.

Your's, Jim's, and too many others to mention- who make these little comments, and observations are what make this, and other such sights such a great asset for those of us that find ourselves jumping off into 'uncharted waters' from time to time.

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

The comment about a 4x4x3/8 is right on, but 1/4 would do, that is what we use, buried to 4 feet or more. I do nothing but repair gates due to accident,vandalisim, or wear and tear. Steel gates are **** on the posts, and a 17' gate is very big......even in aluminum which is usually 2x2 frame with a 1x2 channel for top rail, second and third rails with 1" pickett, you will see the post leaning into the center. We like to install a little out of plumb going away from the opening so they will end up plumb after a short period. enclosed is a picture of 15 footers and you can see these posts leaning in. this is an aluminum gate also,about 1/3 the weight of steel, I will post other examples of post and gate findings if you like, hope this helps, Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    More Spark Today Please

Here is an example of vehicle strike, probably a lawn trailer.....aluminum that is powder coated and painted can be real fun to clean and weld in the field with a 20 mph wind.....and oh yeah, it rains a bunch here too........
    More Spark Today Please

Here is steel gate with a new post, it was hit and the 4x4x1/4 steel post broke at the ground, getting the 4 feet of broken post out was no easy task.....that is one heavy gate, 1000lbs or so. we have a small crane on this truck to lift these big girls....notice that there is no connection to the column, you risk pulling column down if you attach to a hollow one. also, you have to have the column engineered to be legal. what is interesting is that no damage was done to the gate when hit. Paul
    More Spark Today Please