Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Idio Syncro200 sees....

Hey All,
    I have a little problem with my Syncro 200 and its brand new...
    First thing is the Cycle counter. Every 100 cycles it resets to zero and begins counting up to 100 again. The hour timer displays 5 and some hours of welding and the cycle timer should read about 600 arc strikes. anyone else noticed this? Check it out, maybe your machine has a defective counter too.
    if you are familiar with the machine you can acces this info by turning the machine on while holding the process and pulse feature buttons in for 7 seconds.

The other problem I seem to be having is with the pusle feature. It doesnt matter where I set it, but if I use this feature while welding aluminum, all my welds come out with pepper on them. The amps seems to go way down too if I use this feature and I usually have to crank the heat in order to get the metal to melt. This doesnt seem right to me. Anyone have an idea what I may be doing wrong ? Isthis normal welding process?

If I dont use the pusle feature, my weldments look really nice. There is very little frosting (etch zone), they're nice and shiny (almost like a professional did them!), and penetration is adequate. If anyone could help me out here , I'd be greatful. I am beginning to think that my machine may be a lemon and in that case I need to get one that works as it should.

Thanks all. Rich.
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

Sorry Rich,
    It seems that you are the only one around here with faulty Miller equipment.
    please take your new machine to the nearest factory authorized dealer and repair depot. Miller doesnt want the equipment back. you should have bought an offshore knock off.....

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Rich:

Where did you get the information that arc strikes = cycles? I cannot find anything in my Syncrowave 200 Owner's Manual, or any other Miller literature as to what a "cycle" actually is. Is a cycle an arc strike, or machine on/ machine off, or does it have to something to do with "duty cycle"? I have not checked my machine lately, but early on when I did it read 1 hr - 47 minutes and 57 cycles. The Owner's Manual would seem to indicate that the cycle counter will count up to 99,999,999 cycles before rolling over to zero again.

For that matter, I can find nothing in the literature concerning the Timer. Does it count time from switch on to switch off, or is time a function of arc and welding? I tried picking apart the wiring diagram to provide an answer, but since there is no legend to denote what K2, G1, RC1 is I did not get very far with that.

I do not see amps going way down when using the pulse feature. Although that is relative. When welding without pulse, I end up backing off on the pedal as the work heats up. With pulse, set at something like 1 or 2 PPS I do not end up backing off the pedal as much as the weld puddle tends to cool as a function of pulse. If you have futzed with your machine and have it set for maximum time at background amperage with the percent peak time control setting then that would certainly make it seem like you had less heat and needed to turn the amps up. Perhaps you need to adjust, or check your peak amperage percent?

Pepper flakes are "generally" a function of Balance and would indicate that you need to decrease the the AC balance. But, since you only get this problem when you are pulsing, and do not have the problem when no pulse, I don't have a clue. This is also a case of the blind leading the blind as I am a total noob with tig welding with the Syncrowave 200. I quit using the pulse feature on mine. One less variable for me. If/when I can consistently lay a good bead without pulse, then I will bring it on to try to refine my abilities, which are sorely lacking, except for tungsten sharpening. I have developed a certain expertise at sharpening tungstens as I am very proficient at dipping them in the puddle.

Adios----

Default Cycles = arc strikes

Yep thats it. One cycle is one arc strike. if the arc continues for the length of the weld that is still one strike, one cycle. The hour timer I believe counts the time the machine is energized- switch on to switch off.

I have used 60/40 and 50/50 as peak and B/G settings, a balance setting of about 1.5 to 2.2, but now with your posting, I am doubting what I've done so I will check those settings one last time and reread the manual. I understand the purpose of the functions and I also understand the theory behind it all. So with that said and done, Thanks for the input. I'll be back with more info.

What I've been welding: 0.375 - 0.250 Aluminum 5086T??? with 5356 filler.
    6061T6 with 5356 fill. All metal cleaned prior to welding. Appropriate(Professionaly Sharpened...) tungsten, AC mode. I tried to practice some larger pieces with DC, but I need more time , practice and larger electrodes.

By the way look to page 23 in the owners manual . (revision OM-223 389)

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Sign:

I have OM revision 225-389G. I have studied it, and especially page 23. I am old, used up, a complete noob at tig, but I still cannot find anything in the OM or Miller literature concerning what actually constitutes a cycle. Perhaps some sharp Miller Tech will come on this thread and thoroughly clarify how the Syncrowave logs time, and what a cycle actually is.

Remember, my experience is very limited. I was able to achieve a better weld using 4043 filler than I was with 5356, but that just may be my ineptitude.

As for pulse, well, variables is variables. It was suggested early on that I try to use the pulse feature as a method of better controling the puddle. As I am sure you know, the machine default is 10 PPS and I found that like welding with a spark plug. I backed down and went to 1 to 2 PPS. But for me, when it comes to pulse, you have three variables. PPS. Peak Time, background and peak, and then there is the AC balance to futz with. That was enough variables to cause a huge butt scratcher for "what the heck am I doing wrong?" As I said in the earlier post, I shut the pulse down and will return to it when I am satisfied that I can run a really good bead without it.

I don't know about you, but I have found a big difference in filler. I was having problems that were just driving me nuts. Went out and bought a new pound of filler and it was like a new world. And I had been carefully cleaning the old filler and the work.

Adios-----

Default Does Miller Suck???

Hi Archaic,
    You are right about the fact it says nothing about the definition of cycles. I scratched my head too and just experimented. Thats how I found out that my cycle counter wanst functioning properly. I even called Miller, got put on hold at my expense for about 10 minutes and then discovered that those Jack ***es didnt know either... What gives? When I told them that the machine wasnt functioning right, they told me to take it to a repair depot. The dam thing was a less than a week old, had an hour and a bit on it and they tell me to take it to a repair depot. Like I said above, I should have bought something else. I have a considerable investment in miller equipment. you'd think they could do better than to tell me to take it to a repair depot. Lets see here, Im not the one with the millions of dollars in revenue. I am the one that is just trying to make a living off of the manufactured wares that a company with millions of dollars has sold to me. I guess I'll have to rethink my future purchases. I was going to upgrade to a Dynasty 350 next year, but hey I m sure that thier are other companies that will have something similar.

And yes, the pulse feature is kinda like welding with a spark plug!! That made me laugh 'cuz Ive been trying to figure out what it reminded me of!! you hit the nail on the head!! Hahahaha!!!

As for making a good weld, with every weld I make, I am getting cleaner and better looking beads each time- Unless I figure its time to sharpen my tung and decide to dip it in the puddle so as to have an excuse. I love that yellow residue that forms.. Its way cool!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

just bringin it back to the top... 5hours 53 minutes of welding and only 32 cycles... how about that..? each bead took about 11 minutes to put down... Thats one hellofa duty cycle!!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    just bringin it back to the top... 5hours 53 minutes of welding and only 32 cycles... how about that..? each bead took about 11 minutes to put down... Thats one hellofa duty cycle!!
    My Syncrowave 200 machine is only a year old and I bought it used. It had 8 hours, 55 minutes showing with 1,200 or so arc starts when I bought it. I understand that the arc counter adds one digit every time an arc is initiated. My dealer, who is a very knowledgable Miller repair person and who operates a certified Miller repair station, told me this.

Obviously something is wrong. Apparently your counter is not working. Since the machine is still in warranty, why not have it checked?

Hey Syncroman,
    Yeah I am going to have it checked, but id rather have it replaced. I bought the machine on good faith that someone at Miller did a final inspection on it before it shipped- to make sure it was working properly. So why should I have to settle for "getting it fixed"? It only had an hour on it when I discovered the flaw. Why should I settle for second best? What really burned my bacon was the fact that as I was investigating the matter, I called Miller and I had to wait on hold for no less than ten minutes at my cost to have them tell me to take it to a repair depot.....No one At miller could give me an answer to my questions... Uhg. What kind of service is that?
    Not the kind I would hand out.. If its broke, I make it right no questions asked. end of story. If me, the little guy with a humble income can afford to "make it right" in the event that I screw up, Why can't Miller? They've got alot more cash than I do. And what about my gas to get it to the repair depot thats 35 miles away? hmmm. Im just a little bit annoyed. Just a bit

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Standard modern lathe
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    little dog

Quote Originally Posted by SignWave View Post
    Hey Syncroman,
    Yeah I am going to have it checked, but id rather have it replaced. I bought the machine on good faith that someone at Miller did a final inspection on it before it shipped- to make sure it was working properly. So why should I have to settle for "getting it fixed"? It only had an hour on it when I discovered the flaw. Why should I settle for second best? What really burned my bacon was the fact that as I was investigating the matter, I called Miller and I had to wait on hold for no less than ten minutes at my cost to have them tell me to take it to a repair depot.....No one At miller could give me an answer to my questions... Uhg. What kind of service is that?
    Not the kind I would hand out.. If its broke, I make it right no questions asked. end of story. If me, the little guy with a humble income can afford to "make it right" in the event that I screw up, Why can't Miller? They've got alot more cash than I do. And what about my gas to get it to the repair depot thats 35 miles away? hmmm. Im just a little bit annoyed. Just a bit

Well, I agree with you in spririt. Of course, you are entitled to a perfect machine at the time that you purchase it and since, apparently, there is a fault, they should make it right.

I've read their warranty and it states that they will repair or replace any warranted parts or components. They don't state that they will replace the entire machine for one fault (likely a bad circuit board in your case.) You are also required to have notified them within 30 days in writing.

As far as your gas to get to the repair shop, I doubt that this is recoverable. It would amount to collateral economic damages and my understanding of the law is that these are generally not recoverable even in a lawsuit.

The best thing for you to do would be to "go with the flow" (pun intended) and follow the procedures set forth in the warranty. The repair is likely only going to be to R&R the bad circuit board. It wouldn't take very long, I suspect.

I'm sorry that you're having this problem as the SW 200 (and other models) are great products. I sure like my SW 200!

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/warranty.pdf