Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Copper to stainless TIG welds

I would like to know if it is possible to TIG weld copper pipe fittings to 300 series stainless steel. My client is presently silver soldering these butt joints but that is pretty expensive. A TIG weld would be much preferable.

I think you're limited to soldering/brazing them.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

I've done it a little bit with silicon bronze, but it's prone to hot cracking so you've got to be very careful with the heat. It's more of an "electric braze" than a weld.

Default Copper Tig

Depends on the grade of copper. Marine use 90/10 Copper Nickel can be welded to Carbon Steel pipe with ERNiCu7.

Find out your grade of Copper and go from there.

what is the pupose of this fitting?
    any pictures?
    This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

If this is a cuni fitting mated to a ss fitting you can weld it with RN82 inconel tig. I have done this numerous times and with great results. You can also use EN82 as well.

Wheelchair

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelchair View Post
    You can also use EN82 as well.

Wheelchair
    All Right

I read this thread earlier and was going to make a joke about using inco 82.

It really is a "Wonder Wire"
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Default Thread author

The application is attaching copper sweat fittings to the end of flexible stainless steel hose assemblies. The assemblies are composed of a corrugated thin wall (.010" to .016" wall) hose which is covered with a stainless steel braid. A stainless collar or ring (around .032" thick) is placed around the hose end to hold the hose and braid tightly against one another and add a little thickness to the joint. A "cap" weld is TIG'd using 309 rod.
    The copper sweat fitting is placed on top of the cap weld and (currently) silver brazed. I will check the copper type, but as they are just the common copper plumbing couplings, they are probably not CuN.
    All advise is appreciated!!

I do refrigeration work and used to install machines using what sounds like similar SS flex hoses. With some heat protection( a wet rag or some thermo-trap),stay silv white brazing flux, staysilv 45 brazing alloy, and an O/A setup these joints were completed very quick and inexpensive. These were all field joints and I don't tig so I really couldn't compare cost or time. The brazing alloys and fluxes are available at most HVAC/R suppliers, and if the guy at the counter isn't a turd, you should have no trouble walking in off the street for a purchase.

Oh and by the way, Are you sure they are butt joints?
    Last edited by Fruecrue; 10-07-2009 at 03:54 AM. Reason: edit

Quote Originally Posted by Rig Hand View Post
    All Right

I read this thread earlier and was going to make a joke about using inco 82.

It really is a "Wonder Wire"
    It's got my vote.

Wheelchair