Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pipe welding question?

I know there are alot of you hardcore pipe guys on this board.Me not being one of them as many of you know i,m mostly involed in heavy equipment,structural steel.I just finished welding a pipe job mostly 6"and5" and a little 4".This is steam pipe off a oil fired furance.I root passed everything with 1/8" 5P+ lincoln and capped with 7018-H4R 1/8" Excalibur.The contractor who subbed me in tacked/fit all of it together with a 110vFluxcore mig,and said it will see 4psi.I actually called a friend/another welding co owner. and picked his brain and he this is how he does it.Could this have been done with all 5P+?As he stated the code says Lo-Hi 70xx caps welds.Oh and i did snap a couple of pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Quote Originally Posted by admweld View Post
    I know there are alot of you hardcore pipe guys on this board.Me not being one of them as many of you know i,m mostly involed in heavy equipment,structural steel.I just finished welding a pipe job mostly 6"and5" and a little 4".This is steam pipe off a oil fired furance.I root passed everything with 1/8" 5P+ lincoln and capped with 7018-H4R 1/8" Excalibur.The contractor who subbed me in tacked/fit all of it together with a 110vFluxcore mig,and said it will see 4psi.I actually called a friend/another welding co owner. and picked his brain and he this is how he does it.Could this have been done with all 5P+?As he stated the code says Lo-Hi 70xx caps welds.Oh and i did snap a couple of pics.
    Are those welds complete?? If you are a certified welder then you should know what code you need to weld to. If he's hiring as a welder with no ticket or certs in Canada you would be liable if someone gets hurt or property damage. It may only have 4psi working pressure but if something goes wrong in the system the pressure could spike extremely high. I've welded a ton of pipe where they said it's only 2 or 4 psi but could spike as high as 2000psi. So that being said you should look at the drawings and determine what the best plan of action is. Just my opinion ,Jef

As if 2 or 4 psi were a welding requirement why cap at all? Just weld it to hold 5 psi ya good to go. Since it be subbed to you then weld the pipe to code. If dude doesn't like it, let him get another sub. Then again do ya trust his flux core fit up?

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked one View Post
    Are those welds complete?? If you are a certified welder then you should know what code you need to weld to. If he's hiring as a welder with no ticket or certs in Canada you would be liable if someone gets hurt or property damage. It may only have 4psi working pressure but if something goes wrong in the system the pressure could spike extremely high. I've welded a ton of pipe where they said it's only 2 or 4 psi but could spike as high as 2000psi. So that being said you should look at the drawings and determine what the best plan of action is. Just my opinion ,Jef
    I agree with Wicked One.

My thoughts: If you are certified then you should be using the prucedure that you're certified under. If thier are no codes or stated procedure, like a WPS, then yes 6010/7018 is a good choice. (By good choice I mean, I would choose it.)
    Could it be done with just 6010? Yes
    Could it be done with a lot of other rods? Yes
    6010/7018 is the industry standard for low pressure in-plant process piping.
    Are you re-tacking with 6010 and grinding out the FC tacks?
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked one View Post
    I have certs for D1.1,14.3 and 9.1.I have no certs for pipe, as i stated i,m not big into doing pipe work,i know the rules up north are strictly inforced.I have never seen a drawing on this job again i,m not running it.As for not having pipe certs i have liabilty insurance to protect my intrests/assets.And been welding 23years now so i,m pretty confident i handle this job ok was just looking for a straight answer thats it.... Now can anyone just answer my question about welding it all the way out with 5p+.For some strange reason i knew when i posted on this pipe subject i was gonna take some !@#$.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Thank you rig hand answer me while i,m typing.
    Last edited by admweld; 10-04-2009 at 11:16 AM.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Default I have syncrowave 250 dx

Hi there, i have a problem i need weld aluminum tube 16 gauge and i don't know amperage setting thank you for you help

Quote Originally Posted by MIYUZ View Post
    Hi there, i have a problem i need weld aluminum tube 16 gauge and i don't know amperage setting thank you for you help
    You need to start a thread in the welding decussion forum. Try to add a little more info if you want a good reply.
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

[QUOTE=admweld;Now can anyone just answer my question about welding it all the way out with 5p+.For some strange reason i knew when i posted on this pipe subject i was gonna take some !@#$.[/QUOTE]

First I would never have anyone tack a pipe weld that I was going to be resposible for, now for your main question. Yes you can weld out from root to cover pass with 5p and for many years most if not all the geothermal steam fields here in the west were welded strickly with 5p. The change over to capping out with 7018 came about in the early 90's but the code is still good, they just stepped it up. There are several hundred miles of 4 to 42" steam line still in service welded this way. Bottom line if your job requires a code to be adhered to, follow the code. Hope this helps
    Last edited by Geysers; 10-04-2009 at 11:20 PM.

"It may only have 4psi working pressure but if something goes wrong in the system the pressure could spike extremely high. I've welded a ton of pipe where they said it's only 2 or 4 psi but could spike as high as 2000psi."

A steam heating system, if well designed, should never go above 2PSI. The Empire State building is heated with 2PSI. That is why the piping is so large. Relief valves are set at 15 or 30 PSI. If a cast iron boiler spiked to 2000PSI, the boiler itself would explode! Not to mention the fact that most schedule 40 fittings are rated at only 150 PSI. If a low pressure steam heating system hits 5 PSI the system was designed wrong.

RonL
    RonL

Big Blue 500 CC/CV
    CST 280
    Hypertherm Powermax 1650
    Suitcase 12 RC
    24A Feeder