Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by tnjind View Post
    When is it benificial to use the sprayweld process? and what exactly is it?
    I have heard of it but not tried it. My esab should be capable I might try it.
    Tim
    it is beneficial any time you can use it. real hard on 1/8 thick. impossible any thinner. so leave it to the thicker stuff. flat and vertical down, i havent tried overhead or horizontal. it has a very hot and fluid puddle. the biggest advantages are waste and speed. there is hardly any spatter in spray transfer so less wasted filler metal. the travel speeds are so much faster that you can increase production by alot. the welds are a bunch cleaner too.

not only does the machine need to handle it but the gun needs to be able to handle it as well. the heat is phenominal when you are doing it alot.

spray transfer is when the voltage (the length of the arc) is pretty high and it heats the filler to a molten state before it touches the parent metal, creating an axial spray per say. you are capable of thicker fillets in a single pass and real good penetration as well.

i usually set my machine around 28.5 volts or higher depending upon thickness, and the wire speed about 485 to 500 with .035 wire. straight stringer passes are desired when using spray transfer.

i think i got everything, more questions, just ask. and someome else might have more to add
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

I have experience exactly what you described, my eab is a 450 and I put a Bernard 400 amp gun on it. I cranked the power on some thick stuff, it was just as you described, like holding lightning.
    Tim.

When in spray transfer a little bit of oxygen is good for wetting of the puddle. you can tell with out it it just doesn't want to flow as nice.

Spray transfer puts down more metal, doesn't having the same cold lapping issues globular/short circuit transfer soes, and when welding to code it doesn't have the thickness limitations as the globular does.

Quote Originally Posted by welder_one View Post
    it is beneficial any time you can use it. real hard on 1/8 thick. impossible any thinner. so leave it to the thicker stuff. flat and vertical down, i havent tried overhead or horizontal. it has a very hot and fluid puddle. the biggest advantages are waste and speed. there is hardly any spatter in spray transfer so less wasted filler metal. the travel speeds are so much faster that you can increase production by alot. the welds are a bunch cleaner too.

not only does the machine need to handle it but the gun needs to be able to handle it as well. the heat is phenominal when you are doing it alot.

spray transfer is when the voltage (the length of the arc) is pretty high and it heats the filler to a molten state before it touches the parent metal, creating an axial spray per say. you are capable of thicker fillets in a single pass and real good penetration as well.

i usually set my machine around 28.5 volts or higher depending upon thickness, and the wire speed about 485 to 500 with .035 wire. straight stringer passes are desired when using spray transfer.

i think i got everything, more questions, just ask. and someome else might have more to add

Hi W1,
    Something you mentioned elsewhere about a P-P vs spoolgun has me scratching my head. Whats the diff? how is a P-P better than the spool gun in your opinion ? thanks
    Will it weld? I loooove electricity!

Miller 251/30A spool
    Syncro200
    Spectrum 625
    O/A
    Precix 5x10 CNC Router12"Z
    Standard modern lathe
    Cheap Chinese mill that does the trick... sort of...
    horizontal 7x12 bandsaw
    Roland XC540 PRO III
    54" laminator
    hammer and screwdriver (most used)
    little dog
    pooper scooper (2nd most used...)

a push-pull is better than a spool gun because instead of having a 1 pound roll of wire sitting on your wrist all day and running through several rolls a day with a spool gun. with a push-pull you have a 16 pound roll(aluminum) and it is being held by the machine, so you get better access, less weight on yourwrists, less time wasted on changing wire, and better control of the weld. now one draw back is the price. i dont know what the going price of a spool gun is, but the xr feeder is around 1,700 bucks and the 30 foot xr-edge gun is around 1,500 bucks. then you have to buy a power source as well. this is in my honest opinion, i am sure that you will get more from others.
    welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
    www.sicfabrications.com

turbo38t Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dvcarrara@shoreham.net View Post
    I am somewhat new to spray welding and have been using 92%argon, 2% oxygen mixture with great results. I am trying Airgasses steel mix extra (argon-helium-carbon dioxide) which I was told performs great on mill scale and oily material. I canít get the arc stabilization initially as I start the weld, it takes 3/4 of and inch to stabilize and it asks globular as this happens sending spatter all over. I have tried numerous settings, sickouts, and flow rates. I have a brand new MM350 (which I love) am running .045 e70 wire, 300 Bannard. Please help

Dana
    LOL, what is the other 6 percent in the gas? Dave