Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone ever built a snowplow?

After years of freezing my butt off on a 50 year old tractor with a back blade moving snow on my acreage, I thought it would sure be nice to do it from the comfort of a heated truck. A friend gave me a 74 Chevy 3/4 ton 4 wheel drive truck that seemed like the perfect plow truck. After searching ads and talking to people I came up with a few blades that were for sale. After looking at 3 or 4 that were completely shot I was about to give up hope but then another came along that was pretty good. Only problem was he wanted waaaay too much for it. His comment was, "Yah its expensive but a guy can't build one so what are you going to do?". I thought "I'll show you what I'll do". Before I start talking too much smack to him, I figured I better get my ducks in a row. Anyone ever done this? I'll just be using it for my personal use - truck will probably never leave the acreage. I figured I could simplify it by making it a manual angle blade with a small 12V winch for up and down. I have all sorts of new steel left over from other projects, welders (obviously), torch, plasma cutter, milling machine, lathe, and at this point too much pride to go buy a plow. I can draw up some plans I have in my head for further input/criticism but just wanted to run it by everyone here to see what they tought....

Cool

Go back to him with you camera and take lots of pictures, build it just like it, and drive into his lot with it, Tell Him "Yes I can" and leave immediately...

Willy, why not rework your back blade to fit the front of your truck or do you want something higher ? I never made one myself but I repaired plenty of them. You'll need a good size brake to bend your mold board unless you have somebody do that for you. Make sure you get the right degree so your snow rolls with the curve. You'll need to add bracing on the back along with a few springs so if you hit something such as a curb, it doesnt send you through the windshield, trust me, been there, seat belt saved me one night. Plow dropped in an expansion joint on a concrete bridge. Attach these springs between the a-frame and mold board. You can probably buy a 12v small pump cheap enough to lift your plow for transport rather than a winch. You only need power up, the weight of the plow will lower itself.

Hope this helps.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Quote Originally Posted by KBar View Post
    Willy, why not rework your back blade to fit the front of your truck or do you want something higher ? I never made one myself but I repaired plenty of them. You'll need a good size brake to bend your mold board unless you have somebody do that for you. Make sure you get the right degree so your snow rolls with the curve. You'll need to add bracing on the back along with a few springs so if you hit something such as a curb, it doesnt send you through the windshield, trust me, been there, seat belt saved me one night. Plow dropped in an expansion joint on a concrete bridge. Attach these springs between the a-frame and mold board. You can probably buy a 12v small pump cheap enough to lift your plow for transport rather than a winch. You only need power up, the weight of the plow will lower itself.

Hope this helps.
    I want to keep my back blade for the tractor (in case my plan fails miserably and I end up wrecking the whole works) and I would need something taller. I already have a 1500lb winch I could use. As far as transport, like I said it would never leave the farm, but I could put limiter chains on it to make sure it stays up for transport. I would put springs on it, but dont have any curbs or obstacles like that to worry about. Thanks for the input!

Last year i built a 9 foot plow out of 3/16 plate with 1/4 ribs on the back.I used a meyer powerpack for up/down and left/right.It is a little on the heavy side but it scrapes real nice.I just welded 3 10 inch strips together for the moldboard.I have it on a f350 superduty.Ill see about getting you a pic over the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by davebeaudry@hotmail.com View Post
    Last year i built a 9 foot plow out of 3/16 plate with 1/4 ribs on the back.I used a meyer powerpack for up/down and left/right.It is a little on the heavy side but it scrapes real nice.I just welded 3 10 inch strips together for the moldboard.I have it on a f350 superduty.Ill see about getting you a pic over the next couple of days.
    I would love to see it - havent had time to draw up a plan for mine yet but I'll try to do it yet tonight. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Go back to him with you camera and take lots of pictures, build it just like it, and drive into his lot with it, Tell Him "Yes I can" and leave immediately...
    I like the way you think. I posted the same question on another website. Here is the responses I got and one of my replies.....

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=12736

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    I want to keep my back blade for the tractor (in case my plan fails miserably and I end up wrecking the whole works) and I would need something taller. I already have a 1500lb winch I could use. As far as transport, like I said it would never leave the farm, but I could put limiter chains on it to make sure it stays up for transport. I would put springs on it, but dont have any curbs or obstacles like that to worry about. Thanks for the input!
    I need to rephrase that - I am going to put springs on it - even though I don't have any curbs or obstacles like that to worry about......

Quote Originally Posted by willy View Post
    I need to rephrase that - I am going to put springs on it - even though I don't have any curbs or obstacles like that to worry about......
    Good move, sometimes just a rock sticking out of the ground an inch or two can rock your world, no pun intended
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

I put 4 large springs on mine.They do come in handy just in case.The total cost for me was $700.I bought the pump,cylinders,controls and springs on ebay for $450,i used some old steel i had and i also had to buy some,yellow paint,hitch pins, flap discs.ect..........used up the other$250.My wife is out of town till monday and she has the camera so ill get some pics then.It took me about a week to figure everything out and build it from scratch.