Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default polished M/S finishing?

I've recently finished a set of handrails for the entryway of a customers home.Using polished mild steel,oak and glass. I've looked @ clear powder coating but have gotten some negative feedback on results. Guys saying stuff like "i've seen the steel spider web rust under the coating", or things like "you get what you get". A real turn off for what is said to be a superior finish to a clear 2-part urethane. I'm hoping someone with finishing background can help with my decision, don't really want to be re&reing this project due to poor finish or short life. I am aware that powder coating is a tuffer finish but is the risk really that high? I've also heard of using lower curing temps and longer cure times help???????????????????? Thanks to anyone that can help.

Cool

I have used the same clear finish i used on my hardwood floors for some of my projects...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default mild steel finishings

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I have used the same clear finish i used on my hardwood floors for some of my projects...Bob
    Like a Varathane Diamond coat?

Cool

Yup thats it Varathane High Gloss Polyurathane...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Way back in the olden days, people used to use high gloss clear lacquer on polished metals. It's time tested and works well. Might try it if you can get your hands on it.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Default m/s steel

I use a lot of laquer you need to spray a seal coat light sand with 280 grit then spray laquer a high gloss will make every flaw stand out a satin gloss will look much better you will have to add a product called "smothy" it is called fish eye remover or the laquer will spider on the steel you add it to the sealer and laquer you can also add a tint to the laquer

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy T View Post
    I use a lot of laquer you need to spray a seal coat light sand with 280 grit then spray laquer a high gloss will make every flaw stand out a satin gloss will look much better you will have to add a product called "smothy" it is called fish eye remover or the laquer will spider on the steel you add it to the sealer and laquer you can also add a tint to the laquer

Not entirely familiar with finishes like this so excuse me if this sounds like a stupid questions but is a laquer the same as a urethane and is it as durable. Being that this will be on hand rails it will see keys, rings, etc, running over it.

thanks for all the input

Default m/s steel

If you use a post catylised laquer ( you add the catylist ) it is a lot harder then the precat laquer most tables are post laquer if you write on a table that was sprayed with precat you can read the letter in the table post laquer is used on pianos for it durability and hard finish if it gets scratched or damaged you just spray again the laquer melts into the old finish

I think you have a couple issues to think of. One of them being finish durability, another being corrosion resistance WHEN the finish gets damaged, and the last is repairability of the finish. Powdercoat has a good initial durability, but lacks the ability to prevent corrosion from going under the finish when it gets damaged, and is for all practical terms impossible to "field repair". 2K urethanes or enamels ( dont use water based for obvious reasons ) have almost as "durable" of a finish as powdercoat, have much higher resistance to corrosion creeping under the finish, and are spot repairable in the field. 1K materials in the organic field such as laquers, shellacs, etc have a nice look, and can resist corrosion fairly well, but arent very durable in that environment. Figure the coating WILL get chipped and flake off, after all its a polished, un-primed surface. So pick one thats reasonably tough, and can be repaired easily. Personally I would pick a 2K acrylic-enamel.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
    I've recently finished a set of handrails for the entryway of a customers home.
    This is outside correct?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus