Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding Torch

Default Welding Torch

Check out the picture. Has anyone ever used one of these and if so, how does it work ? It is an old welding torch that used alcohol as fuel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Suspect it may have been used for soldering not welding. Alcohol doesn't produce the heat needed for welding. Plus, there's a lot of moisture produced from burning alcohol.

If it was as finikey as the old alcohol stoves on boats (preheat and all) I suspect it never became very popular. Anyone on here old enough to have really used one, I'd really like to hear from them.

I've seen these before hanging on the walls as decoration, never seen them in use though. I would suspect SundownIII is correct in his assessment of the use for solder and not for any kind of welding. I too would like to know more about them and their actual usage, maybe even an actual demonstration. Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Behind the hexagon cap on the top are some small pin holes like you would find on a torch tip. In the larger spout is some kind of wick. The wing type knobs on the side just turn like it is some kind of adjustment. It is about 7" tall. If I can find out how it is supposed to be used, I'll take some pictures for everybody.

Then again, whats the worst that can happen by experimenting with a pint of alcohol.
    Ken

What else is there besides welding and riding. Besides that

Miller Thunderbolt XL 300/200 AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187
    Dewalt Chop Saw
    4" Air Grinder
    Die Grinder
    Rigid Drill Press
    Kellogg 10hp Air Compressor

2009 FXDC

Then again, whats the worst that can happen by experimenting with a pint of alcohol.

The next statement after that is usually "It only hurt 'til I passed out". Dave
    If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

John Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
    Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Default The worst that can happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyro View Post
    ... but i have welded beer cans and i use more like 18amps or so... however the more beer i consume (to empty the cans) the worse i weld
    Quote from the Motorsports message board.

On the other hand, for some of us - the more we consume the prettier the beads look.

That's got to be for soldering, and I think they were used a lot in fabricating the embossed tin ceilings popular at the turn of the century (before last). I've had to repair a few of those in some historical buildings, and nothing in my kit bag would touch those seams until I fabricated a very wide tip for MAPP gas to sweat them.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing/hearing what anyone comes up with on the use of that puppy.

Any old-time plumbers to speak up?

Joe

I have seen these before and my father had one, although I never saw him use it. I think it was a plumbing tool to use with the cast iron pipe. The seems were filled with lead. I am glad we have PVC pipe now.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

I just thought of something. Back when these torches were used it was probably easy to get fuel for them. Liquor stills were usually strategically located in the community. They could probably uses these torches for welding, because the stuff they made back then burned a lot hotter than what we have today.
    If I had know I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

"NO", It only hurt when I woke up. "SORRY" wrong kind of alcohol.

Try this guy: http://www.blotorches.com/miniatur.html Seems to be a collector of old alcohol torches.

Also, I think the alcohol torches they use for wax casting uses denatured alcohol as fuel.
    Last edited by jonnymag; 09-22-2007 at 12:07 AM.