Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to properly preheat aluminum

Hey guys question for you.

I made a set of steps out of .250 aluminum angle and had some troubles.

I have a 250amp water cooled torch tig set up. I was using 200 to 220 amps 50/50 ballance AC high freq. It seemed to take forever to develop a puddle and the pace of the welding was so slow that I had some real problems with warping and distortion.

Even after getting what looked to be a good flowing weld that was slightly concave in bead profile, the penetration seemed to be pretty poor. Ok for a set of steps but not anything I would trust that would be subject to load or vibration cycling.

What is a good way to preheat to help the weld penetration and hopefully controll distortion from excessive sustained localized heat input.

Thanks

If you want to pre-heat you can use a torch or a heat gun. Get yourself an IR thermometer or a temp stick & heat to about 350-400. Only pre-heat one section at a time as aluminum transfers heat quickly so it will cool off if you try to heat to big an area at once. Don't know what tig setup you have but if you have a peddle or finger control up your amps on the machine so you can get more heat at the start & then back off as needed while welding. If the metal is clean you can change your balance to about 30-70 for more penetration.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

I agree your main problem is the 50/50 balance setting. You have too much time in the cleaning portion of the cycle and that's why the machine feels under powered and is taking forever to weld. I normally use 30% cleaning.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Thanks guys

I will give the ballance controll a try.

Don't know your machine but my syncrowave has three different starts 1,2,&3. One is a slow, cool start. Three is almost like a hot start. Check your owners manual. You can also max out your machine and floor the pedal to start the puddle.
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Default preheat alum

You definetly have enough "jam" with that amperage.Infact your at the top end of that pure tung, this could be causing grain growth, which is greatly restricting for power transfer. I think from experience that if you switch your tungsten from pure to ceriated you might be suprised.
    It has a lower work function which means you will require less power from your machine to put out the same amps as pure. Also, it arc starts easier, has a more stable arc and the addition of the ceriated oxide works as a emission enhancer and grain growth inhibitor. You might also consider going to a 5/32 tung as this is a more appropriate tung size for your application.

Good luck

Where are y'all getting Ceriated tungsten? Most of the local welding stores in my area only carry pure and 2% Thoriated, a few will have 1% Thoriated. Are you getting it mail order or what?
    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
    Miller 340A/BP
    Victor O/A torches
    Lincoln SP125
    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
    78 GS1000
    82 GL1100 Interstate

Default preheating solid AL rod

little off topic
    but a guy at my work says you can preheat aluminum rod in the microwave. unlike aluminum foil it has fewer contact points so it wont start sparking and what not.

anyone know if this is true? or have an old microwave to test it
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

Quote Originally Posted by pescaloco View Post
    Hey guys question for you.

I made a set of steps out of .250 aluminum angle and had some troubles.

I have a 250amp water cooled torch tig set up. I was using 200 to 220 amps 50/50 ballance AC high freq. It seemed to take forever to develop a puddle and the pace of the welding was so slow that I had some real problems with warping and distortion.

Even after getting what looked to be a good flowing weld that was slightly concave in bead profile, the penetration seemed to be pretty poor. Ok for a set of steps but not anything I would trust that would be subject to load or vibration cycling.

What is a good way to preheat to help the weld penetration and hopefully controll distortion from excessive sustained localized heat input.

Thanks
    I would say that there could be several other reasons for your problems you mention here and would also say without pics we are only blowing smoke.
    I and others here have used machines that have nothing but 50/50 balance forever and I highly doubt that would ever cause any problem. I have had excellent results with those machines ...don't jump to that conclusion. That would be distortion!
    Way too much speculation here without seeing IMO.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default Ceriated

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie_486 View Post
    Where are y'all getting Ceriated tungsten? Most of the local welding stores in my area only carry pure and 2% Thoriated, a few will have 1% Thoriated. Are you getting it mail order or what?
    It's very common out here in the West. 2% Ceriated (orange stripe) or Lanthanated (gold stripe) are generally kept in stock locally.

If you can't find any in your part of the world, www.Arc-Zone.com has any flavor you want.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"