Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: arc gouging

Default arc gouging

What exactly is arc gouging? I've searched to learn about it and also watched some videos on youtube but still not quit sure. I have a xmt304 and it says it's capable of arc gouging but I don't see anything about it under accesories. I believe I need a torch/rod holder of some kind but not sure what else I will need.

Also what is arc gouging good for? Can it do everything a plasma cutter can or is more like a torch that give rough cuts?

Thanks for helping out a newbie with this!

Default Cac-a

Quote Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
    What exactly is arc gouging? I've searched to learn about it and also watched some videos on youtube but still not quit sure. I have a xmt304 and it says it's capable of arc gouging but I don't see anything about it under accesories. I believe I need a torch/rod holder of some kind but not sure what else I will need.

Also what is arc gouging good for? Can it do everything a plasma cutter can or is more like a torch that give rough cuts?

Thanks for helping out a newbie with this!
    Do a search for Carbon Arc Cutting or Carbon Arc Gouging and it will bring up a whole list of links.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

You need a very powerful air compressor, and a gouging torch, like one from Arcair. The carbon electrode provides the arc to melt the metal and the compressed air blows the metal away. It's a rough cut process good for demolition and getting rid of unwanted welds on thick metal. It's not a substitute for a fine cutting plasma, but can be a substitute for a gas cutting torch.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Quote Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
    Can it do everything a plasma cutter can
    I feel a plasma torch in the scarf mode is cleaner, but the long carbon rods have an advantage. Like reaching into a hole or very tight spot. The longer the stick out of the rod from the carbon arc torch the more air, and amps youíll need.

Default Arc Air Rods

Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Iron View Post
    I feel a plasma torch in the scarf mode is cleaner, but the long carbon rods have an advantage. Like reaching into a hole or very tight spot. The longer the stick out of the rod from the carbon arc torch the more air, and amps youíll need.
    The smaller diameter rods (3/32, 1/8...) are also very delicate. I "grab" them in the middle with the stinger, but it's still easy to mess them up, especially after they've gotten hot.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Thanks for the knowledge guys. I was kinda hoping it would be like a plasma but guess I'm out of luck! So it sounds like arc gouging cuts like a acetyline torch?

Yeah they do get brittle after they get red hot.

It's not a clean cut but it does the job.
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

Default good pencils

great tool for back grinding butt joints for 100% weld, side shell, or hull on steel boats/ships are welded from inside then gouged out from the outside for welding, alot quicker than grinding

I like gouging for disassembly of weldments you can gouge the weld and save the parts you need to re-use. I've done a lot of backhoe sticks and booms where I've gouged the bushings and etc... from them and welded them back onto the new boom or stick. Have done a lot of arms for the railroad for the machine that pulls out the old rail ties. As others have said it's great for back gouging for full penetration welds, it's also good for doing repairs to welds which have failed an x-ray test as well. It's not good for cutting parts or anything like that a torch does a much cleaner job.