Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Looking for advice on a tubing notcher

New to the site, looking for a tubing notcher building new car chassis.

Welcome to the forum.
    As far as notchers go, like anything else, you get what you pay for. That can be pretty cheap to really expensive. How much do you want to spend? Do you have bending software? The Bend Tech Pro bending software has a neat notching program built in. It will print a line on a sheet of paper, cut along the line and use it as a template on your tubing. Then you can shape it with your grinder, torch, plasma cutter, etc..... Harbor Freight has cheap notchers, and they arre reasonable for most uses.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Thanks Nocheepgas understand you get what you pay for. I have been doing some research today, I found some information on a JD2 Notchmaster they also have some bend software that is free. I downloaded the software and have played around with it this evening. The notcher looks to be made out of heavier material than others I've seen.

I've never gone wrong with JD2 stuff. Those notchers work really well.

Their tubing benders work really well for cages too. Im going to be investing in a Model 4 sometime in the semi near future.

As a random note on marking the tubing and using a grinder...I hate that method. Ive done far too many bars like that.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Bracket Racer, I'm too about to pull the trigger on a notcher. I'm in the process of building my own tubing bender and seriously thought about building a notcher but the JD2 Notch Master is so cheap it's not feasible for me to build one.
    I believe the Notch Master is the perfect choice for me between price and durability. Good Luck

Those are some pretty nice notchers. I like the Beast but think I could get by with the Notch Master. The benders are affordable too.

Another + for the JD2. I had a HF turd years ago and it was worthless. I then purchased a notchmaster from JD2 and it was a nice unit, especially for the price. I then upgraded to the Beast and it is also very nice, there are couple things you can do on it that you couldn't on the notchmaster but there are a few things you can do on the notchmaster that you can't on the Beast. Both units are nice but unless you have to have the beast just go with the notchmaster, you can't go wrong with the price. Also, order through JD2 instead of trick-tools, a lot of times JD2 will work with you on the price.

I have the JMR tube notcher and it has worked well for me for approx. 3 years now without any complaints. The ability to cut on a curve like the new Beast would be nice though. On curve notches I generally mark with a Sharpie and then creap up on the notch with a grinder/rotary emery roll. Mike.

mine works great
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bracket Racer, Best notcher for 90* fishmouths is sold by Heck Industries , manual operation 3 sizes on one block about 500.00 . Have 4 in the shop for making handrail. For f.m. other than 90* I have a belt notcher made by Linders Industries uses abrasive belts 25.00 ea. whole machine 4000.00 PS. GO STEELERS SUPERBOWL CHAMPS