Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

for welding on the side sheets i was thinking plug welds drill a small hole in the sheet and then just tig it closed then a little bit of polishing and all good. does that sound like it would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by spotsineyes View Post
    I always thought that this would make a cool streamlined trailer. If it was there in my drinking days, I might even have tried to hitch it up.
    At 110 Tons, you'd need quite a rig to tow it!
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Quote Originally Posted by mini-number1 View Post
    Thank your for the suggestion i probably will use some sort of paneling on the inside not the metal that was one of my concerns noise how loud it would be. any idea any one on how thin i can go on the tubing and will like 20 gage sheet stay flat if welded on every foot? thanks
    My teardrop the interior frame was welded (steel, but your planning aluminum) and the aluminum exterior was riveted. Had I been the one to reskin, I would have used a glue. Most professional trailer builders use glue not just because of ease of use, but because it holds the shape better. Welds chance warping from heat, rivets mean you spend a lot of time drilling. Glue bonds to the entire surface at similar pressure.

For the tubing- depends on your total design. The perimeter frame should only need to support the weight of the skin, insulation, and paneling, while withstanding wind forces. Just playing with the square tubing I have in the garage, 1/16" seems pretty sturdy. I'd use something thicker for door frames and any stud that will be holding a shelf or something.

Will the tear drop have a galley in the rear or anything? Mine had a rear clamshell door that was about 3.5 long. Something like that would need some pretty good reinforcement.

Do you have any sketches or plans yet?

yea i am planning for a rear door/gallery thing. i curently have some sketches and i am working on drawing it up in google sketchup i should be able to post them up tomorrow. the size i was going for was 4.5' by 8' so there would be a full size bed inside and then a small kitchen thing under the rear door. also i was thinking only one side entry and then a sun roof pulled from like a suv for air ventulation and then be able to lay in there with my sweety at night and watch the stars. thanks for the help so far=]

Default the plans i drew up

this is a side view of my design, the green as cabinets, the door is in the middle and the back curve will open as a kitchen type thing. i think i have decided on 1in square tubing 1/16 wall. then alum sheet on the outside (not sure how thick yet) and then foam insulation in the walls then 1/4 plywood of the inside wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought plan from this site : http://www.desertteardrops.com/

Great instruction, website usefull.
    sorry for my english... i'm a frenchman !

Quote Originally Posted by mini-number1 View Post
    this is a side view of my design, the green as cabinets, the door is in the middle and the back curve will open as a kitchen type thing. i think i have decided on 1in square tubing 1/16 wall. then alum sheet on the outside (not sure how thick yet) and then foam insulation in the walls then 1/4 plywood of the inside wall.
    That looks like pretty sturdy design then More than enough framing to support the weight I think.

thanks i added it all up ill need about 255 ft of 1in aluminum tube should be fun cutting it all up and then tig welding it all up. ??? do you think when tiging all the joints that it will warp alot. i was thinking of laying it out on some plywood so i can get both sides the same and have something to clamp to.

This thread is just what I have been looking for. I am a college welding student finishing up my AAS in welding and I am also going to build a teardrop.

Right now I am working on my plans and getting together a materials list. I have been tossing the idea back and forth of an aluminum frame or a steel frame and as of right now I am leaning towards aluminum. I will also be skinning the outside with aluminum and I will be gluing it down.

I will have to make my trailer as part of my project - so you are one up on me so far. I am wanting a king bed in mine because it will be me, my wife and our 2 dogs.

One of the things I am stuck on is the floor? So what will you be using for the floor? Are you going to use a wood floor and just bolt down to it? I have been thinking of steel for the frame because I can weld that directly to the trailer. Also will you be insulating the floor?

-Brian

i was thinking of the 1 in sq tube being across the floor with insulation in between it then 1/2 or 3/4 ply for the floor not sure yet witch will then have a bunch of bolts going through it throughout the tube into the trailer to hold it on. and actually i have deiced to build a new trailer just for easy ness of fit up the one i have now would need a lot of modifications to use it. sooo for the trailer i am going with 2 in my 3/8 angle aluminum for the frame then 2 in by3/8 tung and then 2 more pieces of tube on the bottom one in front of the axle and one behind. with the angle turned up the camper portion will like just drop in and with a few bolts be secure. then i was thinking i could then just take the camper off and put a floor on the trailer and use it for hauling anything. so multi use.