Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default crankcase drain project ?

I have a HF refrigerant vacuum pump (venturi type) and a compressor tank and want to make a crankcase oil pump to drain the oil out of my truck using a tube down the dipstick pipe. Does anybody know whether the 28.3 inHG of vacuum created by the HF pump will be enough pull to make my idea work?
    Thanks and apology if this question is too far off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stuckey View Post
    I have a HF refrigerant vacuum pump (venturi type) and a compressor tank and want to make a crankcase oil pump to drain the oil out of my truck using a tube down the dipstick pipe. Does anybody know whether the 28.3 inHG of vacuum created by the HF pump will be enough pull to make my idea work?
    Ahhhh of course. If you can pull 28" of merc, thats about 380" of water which has a closer density to oil. But why do it that way? Pulling the oil that way doesnt get rid of nearly as much debris as draining it.
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

I personally got tired of the ones I made and bought one but a home made one will work just fine.

This is what I got

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46149

There is a check valve between the vacuum side of the venturi and the tank so you do not have to run the venturi all the time, you draw down a vacuum (only 15 inches) and then disconnect the air hose and go suck some oil.

These things work GREAT, takes a ton of the mess out of dealing with oils. I use mine to suck out power steering reservoirs, brake reservoirs, the oil drain pan after it get full (less chances of spilling).

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Quote Originally Posted by John Stuckey View Post
    To do engine oil that way like the other member said not a good idea....But for a Automatic Trans oil change before you pull the pan that sounds great..
    2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
    1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
    Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
    XMT 304 cc cv
    Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
    Miller 30A
    1ea X-Treme 12vs
    2ea Miller 12Rc
    Miller 24 A
    Miller 330 a/bp tig
    Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
    Millermatic 180
    Millermatic 180 auto set
    Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
    Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
    2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
    2ea Powermax 1000
    1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

My boat is designed to have the oil removed through the dipstick. There is no drain plug, even if there was you would have to cut a hole through the hull.