Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: mig welding

Default mig welding

I have a question regarding spot welding , I been triing to make my welds look like tig welds. I been doing this by spot welding continues beeds. takes a little more time , but achieves a tig look. my question is , by welding this way doe's this make my welds weaker, over a continues beed?????
    Attached Images Attached Images

In a word, YES, they're weaker. When you stop and start the MIG weld, you also start and stop penetration and MIG is notorious for lack of penetration on starts anyway. However, the use of these welds does not appear to be any more demanding than stitch welding would handle. Doubtful they'll fail, but if they come apart at the corners, you'll see it quickly.
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Weaker.

Ya have a whole bunch of Cold welds now.

Only time to do that with Mig is on thin sheet metal to help control burn through and Distortion-

looks like a front bumper in yer Pic? 3/16"- 1/4"?
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Weaker again.

Notice the little craters. They tend to seed cracks. And if the only reason is to make it look like a TIG weld, well, I hate to burst your bubble but it doesn't exactly look like a TIG weld either.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

weaker is what i was thinking. the metal is 3/16, the welder set at 1/4 and gas set at .2 thinking that the extra heat for penatration, sheilding gas staying on after, between welds. I purchase the miller 252 a little over a year , so I'm still learning alot. thanks for you help, I'll stick with the steady beads

It's a weaker weld for sure if you cut it apart you may have voids where you start and stop..
    2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
    1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
    Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
    XMT 304 cc cv
    Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
    Miller 30A
    1ea X-Treme 12vs
    2ea Miller 12Rc
    Miller 24 A
    Miller 330 a/bp tig
    Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
    Millermatic 180
    Millermatic 180 auto set
    Lincoln Invertec 350 Pro
    Lincoln Idelarc SP 250
    2ea Lincoln LN-25 wire feeders
    2ea Powermax 1000
    1ea Bortech 300z Borewelder

I recently witnessed this same technique on a project built with 10 or 12-GA. Later the entire project was DP’ed, it looked like a scene from the movie texas chainsaw massacre!

Little spot welds like those are typically much colder to deposit than a regular weld. That is why it is used on very thin materials. Also as mentioned and eluded to by others there are in fact cracks in each or the craters.

To achieve a "stacked" look with wire feeding in a robotic application and does about the same hand held is to "weave on seam" or whip. Where your arc is traveling ahead of the puddle and then back into it. Much like running 6010 stick. As with any technique there are positives and negatives to whipping. There are other threads out here where we have discussed the differences in penetration, travel speed and ease of application for most techniques so I won't lengthen this out any more than needed. If you'd like further discussion on it just send me a private message and I would be happy to discuss it.

Not to mention the welder cycling so often.
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge