Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Sourcing material

My company is looking for some material that I am thinking may be hard to find. They are looking for 3.5" thick plates? of aluminum and 1" square copper bar stock. This material would be used in a safe where a considerable portion of the test is performed with a oxy/act. torch to cut a hole through it. I'm sure there is more to it as I have had to drill though some of these safes for alarm wiring and a single 1/4" hole can take 60 minutes to drill using specialty bits and a magnetic pressure rig. Any ideas on who domestically would have such items?
    Thanks

Scott

http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml?aident=

they carry 4'x8' sheets of 3.5 Aluminum plates.

Andy
    Diversion 165
    MillerMatic 211

Thanks Andy,

about 7k a sheet. Gonna be an expensive safe

Gonna have more money in the safe then the contents it holds.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, BOBCAT 250
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Cool

Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Gonna have more money in the safe then the contents it holds.
    Depending on the insurance company, this rating of safe would be insured for 1.5-2.5 million dollars wholesale of jewelry so we got a ways to go before the safe is worth more than the contents.

Southern Tool Steel 1-800 647 5188 . Ask for Arnold Erwin and tell him Chris told you to call. He's the man.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

an aluminum safe? it's been a while, but I've built a lot of bank branches and their vaults... they've always been concrete with several layers of reinforcing mesh and steel shot aggregate... it's a part of the job I always HATED...
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

Default Bank Vaults

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    an aluminum safe? it's been a while, but I've built a lot of bank branches and their vaults... they've always been concrete with several layers of reinforcing mesh and steel shot aggregate... it's a part of the job I always HATED...
    When I was in the concrete biz, the Banks I was involved in were pretty much "tarpped" off, and pumped. Only a few "select" were allowed when the vault areas were being done.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Quote Originally Posted by bretsk2500 View Post
    You would be surprised at what is inside a safe. I have seen lightweight vault panels designed to be in high-rises that were nothing more than "intricately " nailed 2x6's 3 deep with expanded metal and tar paper between them sandwiched in an 11ga skin. And it passed UL's rating for vault panels as the wood was wet when submitted for testing so the torch could never burn the material up.

Of course the newer lightweight panels use a tempered concrete with plasticizers, stainless and brass fibers that once the panel is cooked for 30 hours has a tensile rating north of 40,000 PSI. A 3" panel is only 35# a square foot.

Plate steel safes are old technology. Most use an inner and outer skin usually 3/16" or less with a high density concrete in the middle.

On the ultra high security safes, aluminum and copper are sued as part of the test is done using a torch so the copper and aluminum dissipate the heat so well, the torch doesnt have much luck. Other stuff inside a safe is ceramic ***** or plates, manganese steel, corundum nuggets ( smae rock species as sapphires, just not pretty but measure just under a diamond in terms of hardness), aluminum, special concrete, even wood.