Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Exclamation Welding torsion axles

I'm very new to this. I'm probably not even in the right place but here goes anyway. Does anybody know if you can stretch torsion axles? By this I mean I want to make some very heavy duty axles I have wider. I know that they have rubber in them and that I can't get it hot, but does the rubber go all the way across the inside of the tube or would the center of the tube be empty? If anybody has any ideas or advice I'd really appreciate it...Thanks

Cool

Nope can't make them wider...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default curious

what are you building

Out here in the middle of pacific, you do things that might not be done in other less remote places. I've shortened and lengthened them. The two kinds that we have here the torsion bar extends about 20'' into the axle housing. Just keep it cool with wet rags and don't under build on your project.

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    Nope can't make them wider...Bob
    Why not?

Cool

The ones we had a few years back had a square steel bar the whole length with the torsion arms and the spindles on the ends. Then there was 4 triangle strips of rubber between the steel bar and the axle tubing that acted as a spring. These are what we used. http://www.dexteraxle.com/torflex_axles The square bar had to be one piece and welded to the torsion arm or it would of pulled out over time...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default thanks guys

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll leave em alone

torsion axles are not really heavy duty first off and not good for longterm
    they get week and/or brake
    i have never seen one that has the square steel bar the whole length.
    (i'm not saying they dont make um )
    all the ones i have seen have 2, one for each side.
    the inside welder to the tube and like bob was saying the rubber for spring like movement the best way to tell would be drill a small hole in the middle and look and see.
    but it i was wanting heavy duty axles i would stay away from torsion axles
    hope this helps
    gary...

I just repaired a Dexter torsion axle this week,a fellow hit a curb blowed tire and bent alum rim and bent the 10" pc that goes from the square steel that goes in the axle,took a carbon arc cut the weld of the square pc,run water in the axle set the other pc up in a lathe and cut the spindle weld out pressed the spindle out and hyd pressed the link straight,pressed the spindle in and rewelded it and put it back on the square pc sticking out of the axle,weld a little while cool square and rubber with water.it was a 5.2 ton axle ,3 of these axles under a 44' cargo trailer. all is well.....
    2 ea Miller Big 40 Cat cc cv Deluxe
    1ea Miller 400P cc cv Deluxe
    Miller Big Blue 300 Pro cc cv
    XMT 304 cc cv
    Miller 350P-XR-A Aluma Pro
    Miller 30A
    1ea X-Treme 12vs
    2ea Miller 12Rc
    Miller 24 A
    Miller 330 a/bp tig
    Dynasty 200 DX coolmate 3
    Millermatic 180