Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Question 409 SS Muffler Wire Recomendation

Gents I am a plumbing contractor by trade so please excuse me if this is a bonehead DIY question but I need to know. I have a Millermatic 130XP and I want to weld "Pypes" brand SS exhaust piping (409 SS they tell me) . The project truck is frame off so I can tack weld and then remove sections to get it in posistions other than up-side-down for welding. The pipe is not thick* so am I right in looking for .023 diameter wire and what would the "Call-Out" be for the type of wire? I do not think I want a super hard material. I am kinda lost here so any help would be greatly appreciated, including where to buy it, and of coarse I only need a small roll. My research says I should use TriMix gas as well yes? I know i could use my standard wire but I do not want rust to show up.

* I will need to weld up header flanges so my system is modular and that is thick to thin material but most of the work is thin.

Thank YOU!

Default "409"

Quote Originally Posted by .Artisan. View Post
    Gents I am a plumbing contractor by trade so please excuse me if this is a bonehead DIY question but I need to know. I have a Millermatic 130XP and I want to weld "Pypes" brand SS exhaust piping (409 SS they tell me) . The project truck is frame off so I can tack weld and then remove sections to get it in posistions other than up-side-down for welding. The pipe is not thick* so am I right in looking for .023 diameter wire and what would the "Call-Out" be for the type of wire? I do not think I want a super hard material. I am kinda lost here so any help would be greatly appreciated, including where to buy it, and of coarse I only need a small roll. My research says I should use TriMix gas as well yes? I know i could use my standard wire but I do not want rust to show up.

* I will need to weld up header flanges so my system is modular and that is thick to thin material but most of the work is thin.

Thank YOU!
    You might be out of luck, as the 2 sources I have (ESAB and Lincoln) both advertise this as "metal cored" in .045 dia. (or larger) in 33# and larger spools. It takes an argon rich (98% Ar/2%O2) gas mixture.

You can check around, but it is a "Type 409" filler metal for "Ferritic Stainless Steels."

Hope this helps

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

I would just use 309L or mild steel, 309 is for weling stainless to steel but I have used it on 409 exhaust parts before just fine. You are not welding aircraft exhaust where someone would be concerned about the composition, I think your biggest concern is just not rusting right? As long as a complete sealed weld and not rusting are your concerns you would be find with a 309 or maybe even 308, L or non L.

409 is magnetic and has some iron already in it so unless polished you already stand a chance of getting little rust spots (so I have been told).

-Dan
    Owner
    DW Metalworks LLC
    Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller 8RC Feeder
    Miller Passport Plus
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
    Hobart Handler 135
    Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
    Smith O/A Torch Set
    Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....