Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I had to do a little fiberglass tweaking to get the nose to fit & glassed on. Next I'll be fabricating the hinges, latches & tree for the front end.

Wow man what a build! It's So cool.. You've got some skills man.

Thanks reid01. The kids are on vacation so we are celebrating Father's Day Friday. I spent the last few days working on hinge designs. Each one had a little problem here or there but they all helped me come up with the final design. To get the front end to work like I hope it will, the front end has to come forward first 3.75'', then raise 2". Then flip up. I want it to be removable also. I came up with a bunch of ideas, some of the more promising ones I cut prototypes out of 1/4" PVC cut offs. First obstacle was getting the geometry right. After that was just making sure there was enough material in the right places & keeping it small enough to fit where it had to fit.

The last design came pretty close to fitting alongside the 3''x2'' main rails but still but I still wondered if I'd be kicking myself down the road when it came time to mount the radiator, pro charger & all the other stuff that needs to go in the front. Then I got the bright idea of building the linkage inside the frame rail. After a few more prototypes I think I have it, (works on the bench anyway) lol

So, today I cut out the CNC parts.

Got a few parts to make on the lathe yet & some massaging to do on the frame rails to make everything fit. I guess if it doesn't work I'll just have to go back to the drawing board. Only 1 way to find out..................... Stay tuned.

They fit on the outside of the rails. Now to get them to fit "inside".

As always, looking good. Definitely above and beyond right there. Its not even my project and I'm excited!
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

this thread is one of the best i have seen on here!!! your work is incredible but not only your work, the patients you have to be able to go back and remake something even if its because you dont like just one little thing about the peice is what amazes me...keep us updated as you make progress!!!

Thanks for the positive comments. Had to work most of the day today, but I found enough time to assemble the hinges & buff them a little.

Got a little more done on the hinges. Made a jig to cut the frame horns off. Boxed in the rail to keep junk from getting down inside the frame. Welded them in along with some fish plates to weld the horns back on.

I had a little ooops. I spun some bushing bungs on the lathe, welded them in & when I tested it the hinge came out of the rail. The pins were supposed to keep the hinge in the rail but there was just enough clearance for it to slip by.
    Last edited by pro70z28; 07-04-2011 at 09:59 PM.

So I made up these little clips to grab the pin a little better. Ended up making clips for both pins. That meant the linkage would no longer fit inside the rail, so I made some c-channel out of square tubing for the bottom. Holes are for junk & water drainage. I'll have to add one on the top too. At least the hinge locks in place solid now, in both open & closed positions.

Got a few more parts to make & they will be ready to weld back on. The 3/4'' pins are for alignment during welding, eventually they will be replaced with 3/4" nylon bushing stock & a 1/2" steel pin. Got some black corian® cut-offs from a counter top place. Cutting that on the CNC to fill in the gaps between the rails & the hinges, so there won't be any metal to metal contact. Nylon & corian® should allow the hinges to slide smooth.

I hope this deal goes a little better from here on out. Hate those glitches.

Truly Beautiful Work!!!!! a real pleasure to watch your progress!!

Thanks
    Heiti