Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Firewall project

I thought I'd start a thread about the firewall I plan to build for the "Z". Time to put the sheet metal tools to work. So far I'm just in the ''ideas" stage.

Before I start the firewall I wanted to get the English Wheel built. Ran into a little snag though. I made up the bottom anvil assembly last night. Cut the frame parts out today. Got a couple pcs. clamped together to weld.......and then stripped the threads out of the torch head on the TIG. and it's saturday.
    There goes the weekend. ...............

looks good so far

Thumbs up

All looks good so far,But tell use about the car.
    1. Millermatic 212
    2. Miller Spectrum 2050
    3. Miller cricket xl
    4. Miller thunder bolt
    5. Forney 100 amp stick inverter
    6. Plasma cam cnc table

Figured I would ask my questions here since this is the most recent thread...

Is that intercooler Water to air? I noticed the smaller set of bungs.

How are you setting up the steering column? Im going to take a wild guess that you are building in a crush point...but any ideas on that?

I also noticed youre going to be running a Turbo 400 with a transbrake (at least thats what it looks like...feel free to correct me)

A procharged 540 would move that car pretty good, might have a slight hesitation at idle though Oh, wait, that would be the cam.
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Right on all counts. The steering column is built to NHRA rules. There's a stop at the firewall/cage, sfi tagged steering wheel disconnect designed to prevent the shaft from pushing up through the steering wheel. Judging by your user name you are probably aware of the rules on steering installation with IHRA & NHRA. So far the tech guys have been giving me a green light.

I dont know them off top of my head...but If I were building a car I'd definitely grab the rule book and a tech.

I picked the name cuz ive lit myself on fire so many times tangled up in cages and wrapped around differentials and other tight places. Canvas welding jackets, leather ones, lit a Lincoln welding helmet on fire once...

Gotta say though, you definitely take the time to do things right, and you seem to put some thought into what you are doing. I like builds like this. Its a race car...but if you really look close, its almost a show car.

Eventually I will post up some work on my new track car (87 Turbo 2 RX7) and my hot rod resto mod...(1970 C20 Long bed Chevy)

But for the moment, just trying to find enough side work to pay the bills and play a little bit.

Hats off sir!
    Precision is only as important as the project...if you're building a rocket ship...1/64" would matter. If you're building a sledgehammer...an 1/8" probably wont.

Thank You. I'd like to see pics of the RX7 & long bed. I like following other builds also. I hope I can get some time in on mine this winter. Being self employed sometimes I get time sometimes I don't.

i think the firewall looks really good to me. id like to see some finished pics when its done. i can tell you do really good work.