Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Dialarc HF refurb plus DIY TIG Cooler

I just refurbed my Dialarc HF and built a TIG cooler for it. There's a description and pictures at this link.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=34034

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Nice job. I tried making a cooler, then I got my Coolmate 4 for free.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

If I had found a FREE cooler, I wouldn't have built this one either. We bought 3 welders this year, so this last one had to be a fixer upper. The bobcat and the MM252 were ready-to-go when they arrived. (used the MM252 to fab the stand for the Dialarc). I looked for a used cooler for over 3 months and didn't find one nearby, so I started reading the threads about DIY coolers and then decided that it wouldn't be that hard to do. Then I discovered that finding a carbonator pump was almost as hard as finding a used cooler. Fortunately a complete carbonator showed up on Craigslist that was only 1/2 hour away from me and I bought it. The rest of the project was easy compared to what it took to chase down the needed parts. Finding the right size and reasonably priced radiator coil took a while too. I almost settled on a new 1980's Chevy truck heater core, but it had oversize in/outlet tubing and wasn't the ideal shape. The Trans cooler was a perfect fit.

I haven't really had any significant TIG work to do since I finished the cooler. I did have a little time yesterday to play a bit, just doing some 1/8 aluminum scraps for about an hour. The coolant temperature in the tank only rose 8 degrees during that time, and seemed to be leveling off. I would have worked it more if I had the time, but so far it seems to be performing perfectly.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry