Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by weldforfood View Post
    I have a Western Mule Bumper Crane that i mounted in place of my trucks existing bumper. It works best for me because now I can take the welder in and out of the truck whenever/wherever I need to.

Mine has the optional vise mount, which is convienent.
    AND it folds away into the bumper when i dont need it... couldn't ask for more.

I don't have any pics of my own truck, but heres one I pulled from their website... Western Mule truck cranes

Those are nice. How much did you give for yours?

It's called an RTG or a Rubber tired gantry.
    Picking castors is easy. Determine the load i.e. 1 ton and at least double it for safety. Then divide the load by the number of wheels you need. i.e. four so you would need a set of castors rated at 1000 lbs each and about eight to ten inches in diameter and pneumatic. the bigger the diameter the easier it is to push over uneven surfaces. These are available but are not cheep.

McMaster carr would be a place to start but not necessarily a place to buy them.
    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
    South bend lathe 10LX40
    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
    Auto shades are for rookies
    www.KLStottlemyer.com

I don't know which is better but another outfit that makes bumper cranes is:

http://www.stoaway.com

Quote Originally Posted by AV8OR View Post
    I don't know which is better but another outfit that makes bumper cranes is:

http://www.stoaway.com
    Shouldn't he open the door on the van, before erecting the crane?
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

Default Western Mule vs Stoaway

I considered both (among others) and ended up purchasing a Western Mule because they were strait forward, easy to deal with, and in comparison their product seemed of higher quality than the competitor's.

Im very satisfied with my Western Mule purchase and if you are thinking about getting one... don't hesitate to compare Western Mule to the others and see for yourself.

I first saw Western Mule at last years NTEA Work Truck Show. The show is in St. Lewis, MO this year. If you are going, i'd recommend checking out their booth to see a demo of the unit.
    Miller Diversion 165
    Miller-matic 212
    Hobart Handler 210

I have a photo of a neat unit I saw on a site. I can't remember where I found this one so I can't give any credits or details. It can be made to slide under the garage door and set between rafters for extra height. I like this one a lot.

Edit.... I located the source of the post for this unit. Post #2

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=33998
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 59halfstep; 02-08-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    Charlie

Default Ohio IS the Home of Bumper Cranes !!!

Quote Originally Posted by J C View Post
    Those are nice. How much did you give for yours?
    Wapakoneta Ohio- Home of the original Bumper Crane!!! Ever Hear of THE IRON MULE??? that is what the westernmule is a cheap knock off of. I have followed all of the bumper folding cranes since I saw the first one in 1980.
    The buddy bumper, westcrane, transportcrane ,
    workhoist2000, stow-a-crane, Sto-Away. The only one that has lasted the test of time is Sto-away of Indiana
    www.stoaway.com. The chief designer of the Sto-away has custom built a crane for International Truck Military Division on the FTTS Project. In Fact I met him at Purdue where he was reviewing a new design in HSLA steel. You see I have done my homework too.

Go Boilermakers !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 59halfstep View Post
    I have a photo of a neat unit I saw on a site. I can't remember where I found this one so I can't give any credits or details. It can be made to slide under the garage door and set between rafters for extra height. I like this one a lot.

Edit.... I located the source of the post for this unit. Post #2

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=33998
    Now thats what I've been looking for!! Many thanks Charlie.
    Bob.

Default I am a NTEA Member for 30 yrs and know both

Western mule was just loaded tested side by side and the western mule broke! the boom failed the stowaway went to 1800lbs before it stop lifting Winch Stalled out but the stowaway out preformed the mule

Quote Originally Posted by weldforfood View Post
    I considered both (among others) and ended up purchasing a Western Mule because they were strait forward, easy to deal with, and in comparison their product seemed of higher quality than the competitor's.

Im very satisfied with my Western Mule purchase and if you are thinking about getting one... don't hesitate to compare Western Mule to the others and see for yourself.

I first saw Western Mule at last years NTEA Work Truck Show. The show is in St. Lewis, MO this year. If you are going, i'd recommend checking out their booth to see a demo of the unit.

my buddy made one years ago and he used regular old riding lawnmower tires with a 1"all thread rod to raise and lower the wheels.when he needs to move he just screws down the bolt and the tires lift it up and he rolls it where ever he needs it. I have seen him yank a engine with the tranny hookup to it and roll it around with no problems.he used lawnmower tires because they have a trashdump at the end of our street and wheels are easy to get .I have two a-frames next to each other that I use to raise and load my tool box and 250 bobcat no wheels on mine because it's right at the door of my shop and I made a cart to set the box and machine onto it and then I roll moth into the shop when not on jobs.