Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Cool Pistol Bullet Trap!!!

Here is a bullet trap i made 25 years ago that i just started using. It has been laying in my shop forever. Its just a piece of 3/8" plate on a 45* angle welded onto a piece of 3" pipe with a slot cut in it. I had plans of someday building it in my basement wall but a move into the city stopped that. The red circle has the flat slugs that went round and round in the pipe. My buddy shot it with his 30/06 and the bullets went clean thru the plate so i wouldn't use it with a rifle bigger than a .22...Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

cool idea. i been planing on making a set of 22. rifle targets with a back stop to teach my son to shoot. figure i'll start with a BB/pellet gun then progress from there.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

That's way cool.

I won't bore ya with all the gory details, but I shoot too, and reload-
    from (primer fired) rubber .38s, up to full house .50BMG.

That 3/8ths plate at the end of your trap will stop & catch ANY Lead handgun bullets, or .22s. But for (center fire) rifles, you'd need at least one layer of one inch plate,,,, and even that will 'wear out' quicker than you'd think it should.

The trick to using it in your garage, in the city, is simply to close the door,
    but leave a lawn mower running outside.

I shoot (downloaded) .38 Specials, and .45 ACPs in my garage like that quite often, and have since the 80's. So far, I've never had to meet; and 'do more sad singing, and slow walking than a New Orleans Jazz funeral' with the local Cops yet.

"Gone are the days of wooden ships, and Iron men.
    I doubt we'll see either of their likes again".

Circa 1920.
    Author:
    Unknown US Coast Guard unit Commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's way cool.

I vote for this for "Quote of the Day" HA!!

Looks nice ...

We made similar devices for pistol as well.

Then we made some targets that swung over when hit.

Fired a shot at them with a 5.56mm and it also went clear through.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    That's way cool.

That 3/8ths plate at the end of your trap will stop & catch ANY Lead handgun bullets, or .22s. But for (center fire) rifles, you'd need at least one layer of one inch plate,,,, and even that will 'wear out' quicker than you'd think it should.

Or just close the door and mount up the suppressor!

" walk softly, and shoot quietly "

Exclamation

wile fun and not that hard to make, some thing like that can get you a nice long "vacation" in some states. better to stick with the lawn mower,even if you have to take off the muffler.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post

wile fun and not that hard to make, some thing like that can get you a nice long "vacation" in some states.
    Just owning some of the quiet parts without a license can get you 10 years ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48