Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was out jogging this morning, and people were already putting their bulky trash out on the curb -- tomorrow must be our once-a-month "bulky item" pick up day. Saw some old stainless steel counter top being dumped. Now if I can only (a) get my lazy a$$ in my car, and (b) remember which street it was on before someone else takes it...

I got a bud with a scrap yard and I snag a few pieces from there when they are nice but I also source a lot of sheet metal, custom shapes, microwave covers are very useful, appliances have extensive sheet fabrication and nice finish work, saves a ton on paint. Office furniture has a lot of fab work, lots of bent rectangular tubing, nice if you can cut it from scrap vs needing the tooling to fabricate it. I made some machine covers a while back I need to get a couple pics of, saves a ton of time and material.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I look for stuff I can find where the major work has been done for me and modify. I found this cart, all alum, very well built. I since added hangers and still need to add a shelf.

This table was a free deal, very nice, all the wheels worked and even has a shelf underneath. The top is a lid from an old freezer and the screw tray an electric fixture with plates tacked in. Didn't really buy any materials or do substantial work.

im pushing jobs all the time and i get 2-300 lbs of scrap steel every month. i got about 5-6000 lbs on a trailer now and im adding to it daily. i tack all the pieces on and its getting very heavy. helps to be ironworker

just this past Friday the local steel co. was having a big cleaning out of the shop and painting/remodeling. some of the guys in the shop where they cut steel told me a week ago. . . I volunteered to help with the clean up but they said No, for safety reasons . then I asked could I get some steel, they gladly said yes. take all you want of the cut pieces anything under 20 foot long pieces would be sent off for scrap. . . I loaded down my truck and and the guy told me 25 dollars . wow
    they needed to get rid of it and I wanted it . . . right place right time

all those guys are great to me

............ Richard

Every industrial type plant usually has a scrap metal bin around back,that is where i usually get mine.You can usually get some very large pieces of nice metal but you usually have to ask for permission first.

"broke neck scooter tramp" I am going to use that if you don't mind.