Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

the pads welded to the tank i used 045 flux core, the eye plates i used 035 solid wire. the pads had two passes, the first was in a bevel. i was worried about the heat in the tank's wall, and compromising that. the fillet on the 3/4 plate is about 5/16. with the disperssment of the weight, each eye is carrying about 4000 pounds. those would still be a concern?
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Miller Econotig & 150 STH
    Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

I personally don’t have too much concern with the welds of the doubler plate to the tank, just on sure weld volume alone. My concern is the padeye to doubler plate! I forgot, the riggers plan on laying this tank down correct? If so the forces into these padeyes will change / rotate. If it were just a simple vertical pick, I would still have concerns, but not as much. I think you’re living dangerously here!

Quote Originally Posted by HawkerMetalworks View Post
    the pads welded to the tank i used 045 flux core, the eye plates i used 035 solid wire. the pads had two passes, the first was in a bevel. i was worried about the heat in the tank's wall, and compromising that. the fillet on the 3/4 plate is about 5/16. with the disperssment of the weight, each eye is carrying about 4000 pounds. those would still be a concern?
    I'm not an engineer and can't tell you how many lbs of force in what direction your welded joint will hold. If 3/4" plate was the plate size decided on as sufficiently strong for the application, then your welds need to match the plate size, which they fall short of by alot.

Now if a 1/4" plate was decided to be sufficiently strong for the application but you used 3/4" because that's what you happened to have around, then a 5/16" fillet size would be strong enough, if applied hot enough to properly penetrate and fuse. The ones pictured don't appear hot enough to me.

I like that you beveled the plate to tank joint and put in 2 passes. I wonder how well the bevel filled in, if it penetrated through to the root and how good the fusion was. I wouldn't worry so much about compromising the tank wall by putting in more and hotter passes. There's a huge area there to soak up the heat and you're not going to be blowing through it.

I would go back and put in more passes till they're full.

I forget what was the number you decided on. How many of these eyes are being used around the tank?
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

8 anchor points.
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375

8 anchor points.
    Wow! Would you please get a picture of how they rig this?
    8-points? Makes me wonder if they’re not going with what is called a flying W!
    Which in this case is about 100 x overkill!

8 anchor points.
    8 is better than the 4 or 5 that I thought it would be.

Still, if it was my @ss on the line with this project, seriously, I would definately go back in there and fill those suckers up, both the t-joint and the plate to tank seam, and crank it up too!

Please, don't think I'm trying to ridicule you. Only trying to help.

On your shop work, your Millermatic 251 is capable of spray transfer with .035 wire. Pick up a bottle of 98/2 argon/oxygen so you can play with spray. If you have future heavy plate jobs and want to use solid wire and gas, spray it. The welds will go in alot hotter, wetter, deeper penetrating and better fusing, cleaner too. Must be used flat/horizontal only, no out of position. Anything over 1/4" should be sprayed rather than short circuited, with mig solid wire. Play around with it, you'll love it!
    Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
    Millermatic175
    MillermaticPassport/Q300
    HTP MIG200
    PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
    ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
    DialarcHF, Radiator-1
    Hypertherm PowerMax 380
    Purox oxy/ace
    Jackson EQC
    -F350 CrewCab 4x4
    -LoadNGo utility bed
    -Bobcat 250NT
    -PassportPlus/Q300
    -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
    -Suitcase8RC/Q400
    -Suitcase12RC/Q300
    -Smith oxy/propane
    -Jackson EQC

from what i can decipher from the scribbled notes and diagrams on the crane cut sheets that came along with the cut sheets on shackle size, they're using cable lanyards from the shackle to the crane hook.

if this makes any sense.
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375

Actual rigging is not on the lift plane.

Rough drawing of a flying W, you can use shackles in the bite of the 2-chokers, but I would not lay an object down like this, the shackles will destroy the chokers. This type of rigging is great for some lifts. I would use only two chokers to four padeyes, and use snatch blocks in the bite of the two chokers, that way you can lay it down no problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry guys I drew that first drawing wrong. It will be clearer just showing one side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default fillet size

Hey, while we are on the subject, kinda. I thought fillet welds were supose to be 1.25 times the material thickness so two peices of 1/4'' plate would require a 5/16'' fillet. Or is it 1-1/2 times the thickness.

Just curious. I can't remember.
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch