Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I think this is the perfect place for this advice, it gets sorted by several where in the world he may get one opinion. I think Blackbeard hit it as close as it gets, would be almost identical to what I would have done had I shown up on the job and faced this.

Can you imagine the cluster **** of rigging for 8 eyes? It would have got 2, each 4 times as strong as needed to lift the whole tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Showdog75 View Post
    It amazes me that you guys will tell someone that has admitted he doesn't have his stick welding down just yet to down hill something. Sorry but to me thats recklessly foolish. I understand that folks like yourself that are practiced up on this technique would have no problem but please be careful what you suggest to welders that don't have your first hand knowledge.
    Original poster said he is still perfecting his uphill stick, so he could be good at down hill. You can also run 7010 uphill or down. I just stated what I would do.

Is it foolish of me to say how I would do it. Or is it foolish of the original poster to ask a bounch of strangers on the internet how to do on of his jobs.

Showdog, I think we can agree that HawkerMW should use the process he is the most confidence in. That way if something goes wrong he knows he did his best.

Everyone is worried about the weld or metal. If you're a welder and this is your biggest problem why have a buisness. I would be more concerned with the fall and fire hazards. Or how I will fit the pads up. The welding should be a Given.

Hawker how would you have welded this if the phone rang and you drove out to the job and they wanted it done as soon as you got their, site unseen?
    '08 F-350
    Vantage 400
    SA-250
    SA-200
    Invertec V350Pro
    Invertec V205T-AC/DC

Miller 12VS suitcase
    Miller spectrum 2050

Pipe beveler's
    Track torch

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Can you imagine the cluster **** of rigging for 8 eyes? It would have got 2, each 4 times as strong as needed to lift the whole tank.
    He said they were going to attach shackles with 1" diameter pins.

That would be a 7/8" standard forged anchor shackle, and those are commonly rated at 6.5 tons. So he could beef up the eye tabs to 10 times what they need to be, but it won't make anything any stronger because the system is only as strong as it's weakest link, and they'll probably still use the anchors they've got.

And if it's rigged at 45 degrees, the load on each shackle (as well as the eye tabs) increases to a little over 12 tons, static (if using only 2 eyes). Switching shackles becomes impractical once these things are welded on with 1" holes drilled in them.

The devil is in the details. The right answer is to have a PE design the eye tabs and give a welding procedure. But I'd be willing to bet that would price him out of this job, since so many others would be willing to jump in and put something together without doing any math whatsoever. So since he's going to do this without a PE, he's going to have to sort the good ideas from the garbage ones and remember that whatever he decides, it's his responsibility.
    Last edited by Bodybagger; 09-05-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    Equipped with red and blue... and red and green!
    80% of failures are from 20% of causes
    Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
    "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
    "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
    "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Good catch about the size of the shackles.

I would go with 4-padeyes, two chokers, eye of each choker shackled to each padeye, and 2-rolling blocks, short choker in the bail of each rolling block, the other eyes in the hook of the crane with those eyes married together with another shackle just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    any experienced welder would show up on site and know what to do and do it.Being here and asking basic questions on the job you have before you proves you are not one. Who in charge is letting you attempt this...being here looking to be spoonfed says a lot of your capabilities...do you know any welders in real life??I think you are in over your head...not that it's a complicated job,just the fact you are asking how to do it.
    I asked "STICK or MIG..." primarily to find out the best process for the situation. I've done structural, pipe but primarily my work is ornamental, staircases, etc. I don't claim to be a cocky SOB that knows everything.

I'm not asking how to do the job. and I'm not rigging it. I'm just doing what i'm asked as far as the eyes. In fact, a welder I had talked to about it, that had done similar work (after giving him the facts on the tank) sized the eyes smaller than what i'm fabricating.

AND... just for your guys reference, the diameter of the pin on a nominal 1" shackle is 1.13", with a WLL of 8.5 tons.
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Miller Econotig & 150 STH
    Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

Dear Sir, I do not wish to add fuel to the fire . My concern is one that has not been mentioned.I have been a certified pipe welder since '91 and have welded pipe in every type of industry with certifications for many alloys and processes but never under any circumstances would this allow me to weld on a coded vessel.There are strict procedures that govern tanks and vessels for this reason.For the safety of you and the people involved, it is best to fully understand the ramifications of a failure on your part.
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Quote Originally Posted by fabricator View Post
    Dear Sir, I do not wish to add fuel to the fire . My concern is one that has not been mentioned.I have been a certified pipe welder since '91 and have welded pipe in every type of industry with certifications for many alloys and processes but never under any circumstances would this allow me to weld on a coded vessel.There are strict procedures that govern tanks and vessels for this reason.For the safety of you and the people involved, it is best to fully understand the ramifications of a failure on your part.
    not entirely sure what you mean, but for what it's worth, the reason for welding the eyes is so they can remove the tank and destroy it with a shear in a more open area. the tank isn't even on a footing.
    F450 crewcab flatbed
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Miller 8VS suitcase
    Millermatic 251
    Millermatic 180
    Miller Spectrum 375
    Miller Econotig & 150 STH
    Enough snap-on tools to prevent my future kids from going to college

Quote Originally Posted by HawkerMetalworks View Post
    not on a holiday weekend, and when the crane is going to be there tuesday morning...
    I hope all goes well for you tomorrow. It sounds like you have things sorted out. Post some pictures after it is done and be careful.
    Nick